What's the ultimate hardware config?

FunkRepublic

Can you give me some idea as to your opinion on a good equipment configuration. Right now I find it hard to manage mixing music and voice microphone. I have the following:

Mac Pro - Running radiologik with music going straight from Mac HD to internet via nicecast
Mackie Mixer - Mic in to this mixer with main output to the Mac's onboard audio card and then going in to nicecast via voiceover module

Other than the fact that your music goes from digital to analog and then back again, what's wrong with having a dedicated Mac running radiologik with the output of the audio card going in to one of the channels on my Mackie mixer. So then I would have Channel 1 - Voice mic, with Channel 2 - Music coming from my dedicated Mac using radiologik.

Now I would be able to mix voice vs music much more effectively. Then the main outs of the mixer could go in to another Mac dedicated strictly using NiceCast and running my audio to the internet.

Your thoughts?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi there

Yes there is no reason why you could not have your Mac (playing the music via Radiologik) running into one channel on the mixer, and the microphone running into another (or its mic input which we imagine the mixer would have) and then finally the mixers audio out into a dedicated laptop (with soundcard) which is then being used to stream to the internet. This is quite a logical set up as long as you already have all the required equipment in place. 8)

FunkRepublic

Hi there

Yes there is no reason why you could not have your Mac (playing the music via Radiologik) running into one channel on the mixer, and the microphone running into another (or its mic input which we imagine the mixer would have) and then finally the mixers audio out into a dedicated laptop (with soundcard) which is then being used to stream to the internet. This is quite a logical set up as long as you already have all the required equipment in place. 8)

Here's my updated setup:

- MAC Pro running radiologik with the mini jack output going in to channel 5/6 of my Mackie DFX-6
- EV RE320 Mic / Presonus TubePro Mic Preamp / DBX 266XL Compressor/Gate / - Aphex Aural Exciter with Big Bottom / going in to channel 1 of my Mackie
- The Mackie's XLR main outs plugged in to a separate dedicated MAC Pro running NiceCast and then out to the Internet. (I know, overkill, but I had an extra, older MAC)

Your thoughts?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Yeah this sounds like a very nice set up, you have got some nice pieces of kit in there. The compressor will come in handy for any fluctuating sound levels for sure.

Depending on the bitrate of your stream, we would say however the 'Aphex Aural Exciter' is probably going to be a little bit wasted. Any frequencys its adding will probably get lost again in the compression of your streaming bitrate. However that is a very nice piece of kit. 8)

Generally as a set up this would work just fine, best of luck with it :)