word press

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
the

a bit (enough to set up some blogs; www.ratcotel.net or rtn VFRmedia (which end up at the same place anyway). I am no computer/electronics genius, just some old guy whose brain is half stuck in 1980s/1990s (around the time the rave scene started :D) . Also helped with this one www.transitionipswich.org.uk

WP is very versatile; but also easy to get confused due to the amount of choice. you must also be careful of spammer/hackers constantly; on a different CMS I misconfigured something and Chinese were posting ads for multi species diet pills (I kid you not; they were apparently suitable for both humans and cats!)

What exactly do you want to do with WP, and what level of access do you have to the server running it? in many cases your hosting company makes it easier for the installation (I confess I've never successfully installed it from command line anyway)

Last edited:

fozzy

a bit (enough to set up some blogs; www.ratcotel.net or rtn VFRmedia (which end up at the same place anyway). I am no computer/electronics genius, just some old guy whose brain is half stuck in 1980s/1990s (around the time the rave scene started :D) . Also helped with this one www.transitionipswich.org.uk

WP is very versatile; but also easy to get confused due to the amount of choice. you must also be careful of spammer/hackers constantly; on a different CMS I misconfigured something and Chinese were posting ads for multi species diet pills (I kid you not; they were apparently suitable for both humans and cats!)

What exactly do you want to do with WP, and what level of access do you have to the server running it? in many cases your hosting company makes it easier for the installation (I confess I've never successfully installed it from command line anyway)

I Have Full Access to the server. I Use Platinum Nuke Pro at the moment But Its an old CMS looking to update and upgrade to WP. www.gortononlineradio.co.uk

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
back up all the old content "just in case". Install WP in whatever way you find easiest; select a suitable theme and its fairly easy from there. Use "posts" for news types stuff and "pages" for thngs that you want to stay put. Widgets are the boxes at the side/bottom of the screen; you can put all sort of stuff in them