A few Q's For Experienced Internet Radio Broadcasters

nightshift

This is my first post on the forum, but have been lurking in the shadows for a while. I am very impressed with the knowledge base on this forum and the way members are always looking to help out newbies.

I am looking at setting up a small Internet radio station and have a few questions, which, I think, have not been answered in other threads.

In the real world, what do broadcasters do about streaming to USA, if they only have the PRS and PPL licences? I know the licences do not cover the USA territory. Do you take a risk and broadcast anyway, or do you Geoblock the USA and all other territories that are not covered by the licences?

Another question is, if you geoblock the USA, can you still be listed in the Shoutcast Directory?

I want to buy some PAYG credit on the Internet Radio servers and test the streaming and service for one week. I will then be going on holiday. ( World Cup) After I return, I will be looking at putting up the permanent service.
Will the break in streaming effect the Shoutcast Directory listing, ie if you are "off air" for a week or so, will this get me deleted from the Directory, when I come back after the break?

My final question is about SAM Broadcaster. i have put together some jingles which have re-verb on the end in my home studio. Sam keeps on cutting of the fade end of the jingles, even if I set the cue out point way past the end of the re verb. Is this a common problem in SAM? What settings do you give jingles for a nice transition into the next track?

Sorry for such a long opening post.
Cheers

D

DiscoDave

Re-the PPL and PRS licensing, best to contact them directly. I can say thought that the USA does NOT fall within their current list of allowed territories.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
This is my first post on the forum, but have been lurking in the shadows for a while. I am very impressed with the knowledge base on this forum and the way members are always looking to help out newbies.

Welcome to the Forums :)

I am looking at setting up a small Internet radio station and have a few questions, which, I think, have not been answered in other threads.

In the real world, what do broadcasters do about streaming to USA, if they only have the PRS and PPL licences? I know the licences do not cover the USA territory. Do you take a risk and broadcast anyway, or do you Geoblock the USA and all other territories that are not covered by the licences?

Hopefully some users might answer you on this. We (as always) recomend you ask the PPL / PRS to be sure.

Another question is, if you geoblock the USA, can you still be listed in the Shoutcast Directory?

Technically it should be possible to use the BAN / VIP lists in the admin section to add / deny IP's / ranges but this is probably a hefty task to keep on top of as IP's change etc..

I want to buy some PAYG credit on the Internet Radio servers and test the streaming and service for one week. I will then be going on holiday. ( World Cup) After I return, I will be looking at putting up the permanent service.
Will the break in streaming effect the Shoutcast Directory listing, ie if you are "off air" for a week or so, will this get me deleted from the Directory, when I come back after the break?

You should come back after the break. It might be instant or it might take a while. The shoutcast directory can be a bit vague at best.

My final question is about SAM Broadcaster. i have put together some jingles which have re-verb on the end in my home studio. Sam keeps on cutting of the fade end of the jingles, even if I set the cue out point way past the end of the re verb. Is this a common problem in SAM? What settings do you give jingles for a nice transition into the next track?

The SAM forum is probably the best place for advice on this unless some of our SAM users here know the answer ?

nightshift

Hi Dave, thanks for that.

Got to say, I'm impressed with the servers from internetradio.

I got my test transmission up and running, if anyone wants to have a listen. (shameless plug)

Good Life Radio

HoddzDJ

I will be looking into all of these questions over the course of the next week or so. Bare with me, you have given a fair few questions there, but I will get back to you at some point!!

FlagRadio

We went through this 2 years ago. The people at PPL and PRS took the common sense view that geo-locking is ineffective and that it blocks nothing. We were told that we were covered for the territories under their control and that as we were not directly targeting the US, such as carrying US advertising, then it wasn't a problem.

But, as others have said get an answer from them directly.

We did start with geo-locking and there was now problem but we did turn it off in the end.