Air Conditioning

D

DiscoDave

Does anyone have any hints/tips for reducing the temperature in a studio and bringing fresh air in? Given that we've 4 computers running, 5 monitors and other amps etc that all generate a fair amount of heat, the studio temperature often soars way up to 30 degrees! Opening the studio window does little to solve the problem - anyone any ideas for a cheap solution? Mobile air conditioners tend to be very noisy - normal desk fans don't really do much other than circulate the warm air. We really need some way to bring in fresh air quietly from outside, and possibly expel the hot air.

betahifidelity

Hello Dave, You could try a larger fan and tie some icepacks to the front of it? The more expensive portable a/c units are much quieter than the cheaper ones but for that kind of cash you might as well have one proffessionally installed. I got a quote for my living room a few years ago when we had that heatwave, About £900 fitted and the service each year £150 ish, It's not a cheap sollution. You can also get a portable water cooler unit, You put ice in the tray and it blows out the cool air but they are nowhere as nearly affective as an a/c unit, You have to keep emptying the tray and reloading the ice aswell. I have the problem in my spare room with all my recording gear/pc's, I used to have my portable a/c on a half hour timer so the noise wasnt too annoying, Hope this helps?

D

DiscoDave

Thanks for the info. I actually did some surfing and found that a well known DIY retailer were selling proper indoor/outdoor split Air Con units for less that £200 - a huge saving when you look at the old price (around £600). So I have ordered one for the studio which gets delivered in about 2 weeks! Here's hoping it works well.