Ban listeners by User-Agent?

xyonofcalhoun

I run a small server with 30 listener slots. Recently I've noted what looks like the laziest flood attack in the world (it's been happening for a few weeks) whereby my listener slots fill up with vastly different "listeners" from various IPs, mostly around the central Europe area, all connecting within about half a second of each other, all using the "User Agent" of "Winamp 5.50".

This irritates me, and I want to effect a ban on them to prevent them filling up my listener slots and skewing statistics, but their IP addresses share no common ground. The only thing which I could ban them by would be this "Winamp 5.50" User Agent, but I can't see any options to levvy a ban based on user agent.

Is this possible? I have a shoutcast server, if it makes any difference.

Image of the problem - Everything's better with screenshots, right?

Last edited:
D

DiscoDave

We had this problem earlier on this year. Suddenly it stopped happening for some reason. Support didn't seem to think it was a flood attack however as they all had differing IP addresses.

xyonofcalhoun

Well, it's not really "flooding" our server, so to speak - we're sadly not that popular at present, so even with 20 fake listeners we still have plenty of room for real listeners. Right now it's just an annoyance I want rid of.

Does Icecast support this type of connection exclusion based on user agent? Is it possible to switch from a shoutcast server to an Icecast server to make use of such a feature if it exists?

So many questions, so little money. :|.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Moving to an Icecast server wouldn't help as this feature doesn't exist on either server. Manually kicking the users until it goes away is an option.