Boppin' With Beth (syndicated show)

James Riley

It's an explosive new Boppin' With Beth this week because Freddy "Boom Boom" Cannon is the "focus beam" artist! We'll hear about his great career and influences such as Hank Williams, The Five Keys, Big Joe Turner, Chuck Berry, Jackie Wilson, Fats Domino, Little Richard and The Drifters. Of course there's a couple of great rockers from his catalog as well as tunes from Slink Moss Explosion, Greg Townson, Al Dual, Webb Wilder and The Jerrells. Plus, I've got a Billy Eldridge tune in Rockabilly Rewind! Listen HERE:

James Riley

Check out this new episode of Boppin' With Beth and her "focus beam" artist this week, Ryan Culwell. Hear about his career along with some tunes from his catalog and he is the guest on "Beth's Lightning Round" as well. Plus, there's songs from some of his influences including Bob Dylan, John Lee Hooker, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Guy Clark and Billy Joe Shaver. I've got a Levi & The Rockats rocker in Rockabilly Rewind and there's great tunes by The Bacon Brothers, Emmylou Harris and Jackson Browne too! Hear it all HERE:

James Riley

"I'm a walkin' in the rain..." The late, great Rock & Roll Hall Of Famer Del Shannon is the "focus beam" artist on this week's Boppin' With Beth. In addition to his story, you'll hear a couple of great tunes from his catalog as well as artists he was inspired by and some that he inspired too including Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Lefty Frizzell, The Ink Spots, Tom Petty, Mark Knopfler, Bruce Springsteen and Chris Isaak. I've got a Gradie Joe & The Western Gents tune in Rockabilly Rewind and there's tracks from JD McPherson, J.P. McDermott & Western Bop and Del's close friend Dion! Listen HERE:

James Riley

The Grip Weeds are an AWESOME band and the "focus beam" band on the new Boppin' With Beth! Hear Beth (as well as Jim Babjak of The Smithereens) talk about their story and a few of their amazing tunes. Kurt Reil of The Grip Weeds is also the guest on another fun Beth's Lightning Round. There's tunes from a lot of their influences including The Smithereens, The Who, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Byrds, The Moody Blues and The Hollies. I've got a Royce Porter song in Rockabilly Rewind and there's also great rockers from The Anderson Council, The Rooks and Paul & Linda McCartney! Hear this awesome show here:

James Riley

Make room to do some boppin' when you listen to the new Boppin' With Beth this week! Rockabilly & Rock & Roll legend Gene Vincent is the "focus beam" artist. Hear about his life and career (including his favorite song being one from Beethoven...and one of the last songs he ever recorded was "Roll Over Beethoven") and a couple of rockers from his discography! Plus, there's great tunes from some of his influences and peers including Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Little Richard, Chuck Berry and Fats Domino. Darrel Higham is the guest on Beth's Lightning Round along with one of his Ricky Nelson covers. I've got a Jimmy Bowen track in Rockabilly Rewind and there's tunes from The Rockats, Jimmy Dale Richardson and Billy Burnette! Hear it right HERE:

James Riley

American country music icons The Judds are the "focus beam" duo on this week's Boppin' With Beth. We'll hear songs from some of their influences including Hazel Dickens & Alice Gerrard, Dolly Parton, Tammy Wynette, Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris and Tanya Tucker as well as a couple of great boppin' tunes from The Judds' discography. The Whitmore Sisters are the guest on Beth's Lightning Round (along with a tune from them) and I've got a fun rocker from Pete Peters & The Rhythm Makers in Rockabilly Rewind. Plus, there's also tunes from Allie Colleen and Taylon Hope! Listen HERE:

James Riley

"We got the beat..." American rock band The Go-Go's are the "focus beam" band on this week's Boppin' With Beth! Hear tunes from their awesome mix of influences including Suzi Quatro, The Beach Boys, Ramones, The Runaways, The B-52's and The Ronettes. Beth talks about their awesome story that bookends their beginning through their Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame induction in 2021 and still going strong. There's a couple of rockers from their catalog on the show as well. Darren Michael Boyd is the guest on this week's Beth's Lightning Round including a rockin' song from him. I have an early Roy Orbison tune in Rockabilly Rewind and there's tracks from The Northwest and The Courettes as well! Don't miss this episode! Listen here:

James Riley

The great John Hiatt is the "focus beam" artist on the new Boppin' With Beth !! You'll hear about his long and stellar career as well as a couple of deep tracks from his catalog. Plus, there's tunes from some of his influences including Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Dr. John, Gary U.S. Bonds, Professor Longhair and the latest from John's daughter, Lilly Hiatt. Muscle Shoals artist Pat Huggins is the guest on Beth's Lightning Round along with one of his songs. I've got a classic from Johnny Burnette & The Rock N Roll Trio in Rockabilly Rewind and a new track from Michael Askin closes the show! Listen HERE:

James Riley

What a great rockin' way to start the weekend!! Kenny Wayne Shepherd is the "Focus Beam" artist on the new Boppin' With Beth!! Hear about his career and a couple of rockin' tracks from his catalog. He's also the guest on a fun edition of Beth's Lightning Round. There's songs from some of his influences too including Jimi Hendrix, Muddy Waters, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Lee Hooker, Albert King and B.B. King. I've got a Charlie Rich tune in Rockabilly Rewind and closing out the show are songs from Bryan Lee, Howlin' Wolf and Shemekia Copeland & Kenny Wayne Shepherd (feat. Robert Randolph and Tony Coleman). Listen HERE:

James Riley

I learn so much from listening to Boppin' With Beth each week! For example, the "focus beam" artist this week is American singer-songwriter Gillian Welch...and she was in a surf band early on!!! Hear about her musical journey (along with David Rawlings) and a couple of tunes from her catalog. There's also some tunes from some of her influences including The Carter Family, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Hank Williams, Grateful Dead, Woody Guthrie & The Stanley Brothers. Sara Shiloh Rae is the guest on Beth's Lightning Round as well as a track from Sara Shiloh Rae & Bluebird Junction. I've got a Carl Mann rocker in Rockabilly Rewind and there's songs from Laney Lou & The Bird Dogs, Alex Miller, Dave Del Monte & The Cross County Boys and The Carolyn Sills Combo too! Listen to the show HERE:

https://boppinwithbeth.blogspot.com/2022/06/gillian-welch-focus-beam-on-boppin-with.html

James Riley

It's another fabulous episode of Boppin' With Beth with my favorite DJ... Beth Riley! Our buddy Bruce Johnston of The Beach Boys is the "focus beam" artist this week. While he may be best known for being in The Beach Boys, he's had a long and cool career starting in the late 50's and continuing today! Hear a couple of solo tunes, a couple from The Beach Boys and from some of his influences including Frank Sinatra, Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra, Ritchie Valens, Little Richard, Johnny Mercer, B.B. King and George Jones. There's a tune from Bruce's favorite singer Christian Love (Mike's son) too! I've got a rocker from Carl Perkins in Rockabilly Rewind and there's tunes from The Surfaris and The Tourmaliners as well! Kick off your weekend in style and listen at the link below:

https://boppinwithbeth.blogspot.com/2022/06/bruce-johnston-focus-beam-on-boppin.html

James Riley

It's Friday and that means another exciting episode of Boppin' With Beth! This week the "Focus Beam" artist is R. Dean Taylor. You'll learn about not only his smash hit "Indiana Wants Me" but also so much about his career! We'll hear from some classic artists that influenced him including Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis. There's a couple of classics from his catalog too along with tunes of his performed by Paul Peterson, The Mynah Birds and The Four Tops. Lyman Ellerman is the guest in Beth's Lightning Round along with a new track from him. I've got a Chan Romero rocker in Rockabilly Rewind and there's tunes from The Bacon Brothers, Exile, Cory M Coons and Natalie D-Napoleon as well! Hear it all HERE:

https://boppinwithbeth.blogspot.com/2022/06/r-dean-taylor-focus-beam-on-boppin-with.html

James Riley

Get your weekend started off right with a new episode of Boppin' With Beth. Americana singer-songwriter Steve Forbert is the "Focus Beam" artist this week. Hear from some of his influences such as Jimmie Rodgers, The Lovin' Spoonful, Woody Guthrie, The Byrds and The Beatles as well as from some that covered his tunes including Webb Wilder, Marty Stuart and Rosanne Cash. You'll hear a couple of great tunes from Steve's catalog as well as tunes from Big Joe Shelton, Moon City Masters and Jackson Browne. Plus, I spin a rocker from Eddie Cochran in Rockabilly Rewind! Listen HERE:

https://boppinwithbeth.blogspot.com/2022/07/steve-forbert-focus-beam-on-boppin-with.html

James Riley

It's another excellent episode of Boppin' With Beth today as the "focus beam" artist is American singer, songwriter and Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame member (with Buffalo Springfield) Richie Furay! We'll hear about all aspects of his career including his early days of the Au Go Go Singers, Buffalo Springfield, Poco, solo recordings, becoming a minister and his most recent release, In The Country. There's a couple of great tunes from his discography as well as some from his influences, bands he was in and artists he influenced including Carl Perkins, Gene Vincent & His Bluecaps, Buddy Holly, Ricky Nelson, Eagles, Buffalo Springfield, Poco and The Souther-Hillman-Furay Band. I've got a Ray Smith rocker in Rockabilly Rewind and there's tunes from Timothy B. Schmit, Randy Meisner and The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band as well! Hear it HERE:

https://boppinwithbeth.blogspot.com/2022/07/richie-furay-focus-beam-on-boppin-with_15.html

James Riley

Grab your slaw burger, fries and bottle of Ski.... because Grammy, CMA and ACM Award winning honky tonk, blues, southern rock band The Kentucky Headhunters are the "Focus Beam" band this week on Boppin' With Beth! We'll hear some tunes from their catalog as well as from some influences including BB King, ZZ Top, The Edgar Winter Group, Led Zeppelin, Jeff beck group and The Lovin' Spoonful. Greg Martin from The Kentucky Headhunters is the guest on Beth's Lightning Round. I've got a Dale Hawkins rocker in Rockabilly Rewind and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter closes the show with a track from his new album! "Walk Softly"...over to the play button and listen now:

https://boppinwithbeth.blogspot.com/2022/07/the-kentucky-headhunters-focus-beam-on.html

James Riley

This is a big milestone show for Boppin' With Beth as it's Beth Riley's 100th show! I'm so proud of what she's done and excited to see where this keeps going! She's had "focus beam" spotlights on such a wide variety of artists every week including Jackson Browne, Dion, John Fogerty, Lenny Kravitz, Joan Jett, The Judds, Jimmy Dale Richardson, Dallas Moore, Billy Burnette, Steve Perry, Mr. Mister, Steve Earle, Keb' Mo', Cheap Trick, Dave Edmunds, Linda Gail Lewis, JD McPherson and the stellar list just keeps going. This week, her "focus beam" is on the great Russ Taff. I've been a fan of his since I was a kid and heard him sing "Water Grave" (thanks to my sister Cindy) while he was a member of The Imperials. Russ is also the guest on a really fun edition of Beth's Lightning Round on the show too. There's snippets of tunes from his career along with a few full rockin' tunes from his catalog...including an EXCLUSIVE PREMIERE that Russ gave Beth permission to play! It's his cover of "Abraham, Martin & John" that also features Dion and John Hiatt on the track! It was intended for his 1989 "The Way Home" album but was left off the final track listing...and finally heard NOW!! Dion was also excited about it getting out there so you definitely want to hear this. Also, hear tunes from some of his early Southern Gospel & Black Gospel influences like The Blind Boys Of Alabama, Clara Ward, The Blackwood Brothers, The Happy Goodman Family, as well as mainstream influences David Clayton Thomas and Gladys Knight & The Pips. I've got an Elvis tune in "Rockabilly Rewind" and Phil Keaggy (along with Russ Taff and Randy Stonehill) close out the show in style! Hear it all HERE:

https://boppinwithbeth.blogspot.com/2022/07/russ-taff-focus-beam-on-boppin-with.html

James Riley

American singer-songwriter Diane Cluck is the "Focus Beam" artist on this week's Boppin' With Beth. We hear tunes from some of her influences, peers and artists she likes including Kate Bush, Lowland Hum, Cocteau Twins, R.E.M., The Charlie Daniels Band, Jeffrey Lewis, John Denver, Adia Victoria and Devon Sproule. There's a couple of tracks from her discography as we hear about her musical journey as well. Beth's Lightning Round returns as well with noted Diane Cluck fan Kira Velella and a tune from her too. I've got a classic from Ray Campi (with John & Henry) in Rockabilly Rewind. Hear show here:

https://boppinwithbeth.blogspot.com/2022/08/diane-cluck-focus-beam-on-boppin-with.html

James Riley

It's Friday which means I get to brag on my favorite DJ... Beth Riley ... and her awesome show Boppin' With Beth! This week's "Focus Beam" band is Shenandoah! We'll hear about their entire career with a couple of soundbites of an interview with founding member and original guitarist, Jim Seales. Jim is also the guest on Beth's Lightning Round too! In addition to some choice cuts from their catalog, there's some tunes from individual member influences including The Osborne Brothers, The Stanley Brothers, Hank Williams, Boston, Cream and The Jeff Beck Group. I've got a classic Johnny Burnette & The Rock 'N Roll Trio tune in Rockabilly Rewind and The Beatles close the show with a song Shenandoah covered at one point as well. Hear this new episode HERE:

https://boppinwithbeth.blogspot.com/2022/08/shenandoah-focus-beam-on-boppin-with.html

James Riley

This should get your weekend kicked off in style! American singer-songwriter Jack Johnson is the "focus beam" artist on the new Boppin' With Beth. We'll hear from a variety of influences that helped form his unique sound including G. Love & Special Sauce, Jimi Hendrix, Radiohead, Otis Redding, Bob Dylan, Ben Harper, Sublime and Bob Marley and The Wailers. Hear about his great career with a couple of choice tunes from his catalog. I've got a Carl Perkins rocker in Rockabilly Rewind and there's tunes from Jimmy Buffett, David Harley and The Caliopians as well! Check it out HERE:

https://boppinwithbeth.blogspot.com/2022/08/jack-johnson-focus-beam-on-boppin-with.html

James Riley

American rock band Fastball is the "focus beam" band on this Boppin' With Beth. You'll hear about their story along with a couple of great rockers from their discography. Plus, there's tunes from their influences including The Beatles, The Police, Elvis Costello & The Attractions, The Who, The Kinks, The Byrds, The Hollies and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young! I've got a Four Teens track in Rockabilly Rewind and there's songs from The Lucky Odds, Riot Act, The Barlow and BoDeans as well! Listen HERE:

https://boppinwithbeth.blogspot.com/2022/08/fastball-focus-beam-on-boppin-with-beth.html