Broadcasting License

Hey Guys,

I am new to all this and i need help with some things. First is the Broadcasting License, My radio staying is small one, for about 10 - 15 people, a non-profit one, and only available to my community as in my website members. Now do i still have to get a license?

And

Is someone out there ready to get a joint license with me ?

Please let me know until then i will be broadcasting underground music.

Thanks

D

DiscoDave

Any form of music broadcasting will require licenses - I'd guess you'll need the small webcaster one - but as the previous user mentioned - contact PRS for Music and PPL they'll be able to direct you. Costs are likely to be about £300 for a year's licence.

It's also worth mentioning that if you include any recorded audio on your website that users can download or stream on demand (e.g. podcasts etc) then you also require an additional licence over and above your webcasting one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Thanks for the advice DiscoDave + Fring.

One thing i will point out is that the advice is related to UK broadcasters. If you stream and your audience is in another country there is most likely different licensing organisation you will need to find out about.

D

DiscoDave

This is true. Is it possible to ban other countries from listening? The only way I can think of would be to ban the IP address range for that country??

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Yes, you would ban the countries by IP range if you needed to do that. This can be done from within the 'Server Administration' area then 'Admin Login'.

This is true. Is it possible to ban other countries from listening? The only way I can think of would be to ban the IP address range for that country??