Community radio licenses in America - a link

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
This may be of interest to those of you in the USA who would also like to broadcast on Band II (FM radio).

I'm not an expert on the legalities etc but it seems very similar to the British model of community radio, possibly even with slightly less bureaucracy and government control or at least no worse than we have it here in the UK (curiously we are allowed to run some ads in the UK and have sponsored shows, in the USA only sponsored shows are allowed).

Going by how things are run in the UK., to be fair provided a stations signal is good technical quality and they don't breach the (very liberal and tolerant) content rules Ofcom don't bother you, the only thing they pull you up on is if you get a license and then don't transmit!

100W might not seem like a great deal but we have 50W at ICR FM in England and cover 30 miles radius...

Get Your Share of the Air! | Prometheus Radio Project

Last edited:

AaronG97

I would LOVE to start an FM station here in the UK - I think I would be great at running one and would enjoy the challenge of growing it, but it seems to expensive and hard to get on the FM spectrum :/