Complete beginner looking to get on the airwaves so to speak

Genre Fluid

When I say “COMPLETE BEGINNER” I mean it. I know how to get the equipment talking to the software and where you can and can’t stream legally but I have no idea how to mix. My style is more Tony Blackburn than Nicky Black Market.

Here is a trial stream I did. It’s not the best but I am a complete beginner

AndyC

The equipment you have will make all the difference. Some people say you just need a computer and a microphone, but that will make it extremely difficult to make a professional sounding show. At the very least you will need two computers (one to play the music and jingles etc and the other to record your show, a microphone and a decent mixer, ideally a broadcast mixer as they work slightly differently to the mixers DJs use at live gigs etc.

If you type 'radio aircheck' into Youtube you will find lots of radio presenters (I hate the term DJs) doing their thing and you will be able to watch what they are doing. Radio presenting is a totally different thing to being a live club DJ and generally people who are good at one are terrible at the other. Learn broadcasting from people who broadcast is the best bit of advice I can give.

DavcoMedia

The equipment you have will make all the difference. Some people say you just need a computer and a microphone, but that will make it extremely difficult to make a professional sounding show. At the very least you will need two computers (one to play the music and jingles etc and the other to record your show, a microphone and a decent mixer, ideally a broadcast mixer as they work slightly differently to the mixers DJs use at live gigs etc.

If you type 'radio aircheck' into Youtube you will find lots of radio presenters (I hate the term DJs) doing their thing and you will be able to watch what they are doing. Radio presenting is a totally different thing to being a live club DJ and generally people who are good at one are terrible at the other. Learn broadcasting from people who broadcast is the best bit of advice I can give.
There is plenty of good play out software out there that only requires a computer and a mic. Under those circumstances, the quality of the mic is very important, but there are many usb microphones on the market which are perfectly acceptable. With a little shopping around the Blue Snowball and Samson Meteor are less than £60 and they are excellent at the price. Second computer not required at all, nor is a mixer.

HarvestMoonRadio

I have started a series of blog posts on starting an internet radio station and will also have a series of videos on Youtube. Like everything between running the radio station and day to day stuff it isn't happening as fast as I wanted. If I can help then shout out

Stevy6

what absolute bollo** 2 computers? if your broadcasting live, using SAM , mixx, radio boss or virtual dj etc. all use 1 pc. its the settings you have and a decent mic, some people use a mixer for their mic, but a good dsp will sort that in all programs mentioned.
keep at it fella and im sure a station will pick you up.

AndyC

what absolute bollo** 2 computers? if your broadcasting live, using SAM , mixx, radio boss or virtual dj etc. all use 1 pc. its the settings you have and a decent mic, some people use a mixer for their mic, but a good dsp will sort that in all programs mentioned.
keep at it fella and im sure a station will pick you up.
You're the one talking bollo***! What PROPER radio presenter have you ever seen at work who doesn't have a mixer infront of them? I could go on but I really can't be bothered.

Stevy6

You're the one talking bollo***! What PROPER radio presenter have you ever seen at work who doesn't have a mixer infront of them? I could go on but I really can't be bothered.
pretty much all internet radio presenters! (unless you interview others or use 2 mics!) its totally different on FM and DAB, but lets face it, how many FM or DAB positions are out there for a beginner, pretty much every internet radio station will take on new talent if they have a good mic! ( and personality obviously) with or without a mixer!
Interested as to what you mean by PROPER radio presenters? if you can be bothered that is.

Genre Fluid

Funnily enough my exact set up is a traktor kontrol S2 digital deck with a m audio, Audio interface for the microphone and I am pumping through virtual dj

HarvestMoonRadio

We all have had to start somewhere and if you have just one computer and mic then all I'd say to newcomers is just go and enjoy it - surely that's why we are all here presenting shows and running radio stations. I know quite a few presenters that use virtual mixer on the one computer - I've been 30 years presenting from just one computer a lot of the time.

Reba

Hi Genre Fluid,

We at Have A Blast Radio would love a chance to speak with you concerning your show. You can check us out at www.haveablastradio.com Give me a shout at thedubrat@gmail.com. We are a small family-oriented station but continually growing and we intend to become a great success.

Thank You in advance for your quick response.

Matt86

you are a DJ if you are playing music! DISC JOCKEY AKA RADIO DJ, I have been a Radio DJ for years, I hate the term "Personality" you are a DJ if you are playing music etc etc. =) everyone has their opinion, I do Mobile DJ as well, but love Radio DJ =)

Coolguy3289

When I say “COMPLETE BEGINNER” I mean it. I know how to get the equipment talking to the software and where you can and can’t stream legally but I have no idea how to mix. My style is more Tony Blackburn than Nicky Black Market.

Here is a trial stream I did. It’s not the best but I am a complete beginner

If you're looking to learn how to mix, we have some experienced DJs including one that worked for a local university teaching this type of stuff. We'd be happy to have you over at Hive365 and help you learn and grow as a DJ! Shoot me a message or check us out at Hive365.radio!

There is plenty of good play out software out there that only requires a computer and a mic. Under those circumstances, the quality of the mic is very important, but there are many usb microphones on the market which are perfectly acceptable. With a little shopping around the Blue Snowball and Samson Meteor are less than £60 and they are excellent at the price. Second computer not required at all, nor is a mixer.
I have done broadcast radio for many years, I was also involved in the development of internet radio.
My station consist of a laptop, a small mixer, a digital recorder and a microphone. No need for a ton of equipment.