Data Center Move Nov 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxDance.co.uk

Ditto - we too need a time frame.
As a back up we run 4 servers for OPF Radio just incase one of them goes down (like this situation)
Just an idea to bare in mind John so as to keep your station on air.
But it is still unexceptable practice.

Gaz Crossley
Studio Manager
OPF Radio
OPF Radio :: open project franchise for expressive arts

Hi,
How could you run a backup server, although i think this would work for website visitors.. allot of our listeners listen via other sites who have our broadcast playing and directories and many external sources and links and so on.. you would only regain listeners on your website surely unless you update every stream link you have posted all over the place?

Regards,
Juan

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
We have just been updated by the engineers that the server has a further fault :

I have had to bring the server back to the office to take a more detailed look at it. It was hung when I got to it, and when I rebooted it, it ran a disk check thinking it had been up for 2145 days, which clearly isnt the case. I am looking at it now and will update you shortly.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Further Update from the engineers :

I have taken your disks out and put them in a new (and vastly improved) case with new hardware. You now have double the amount of RAM and processing power.
I suspect the motherboard was on the way out in the old one, hence it taking the NIC out last time, and the bios clock this time. I have ruled that out with new hardware.
I am just configuring the new NIC, and should have you back online asap.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Finally cp.internet-radio.org.uk is back online. The hard disks have been swapped out into a completely new machine. The new machine is much faster than the old one which will give your control panels faster loading times. The new server is also in a much improved data centre which will improve connectivity for those who had issues before.

We totally understand the frustration of having this machine offline for so long. We have made steps to be sure that if this happens again we are notified within 5 minutes of any downtime allowing us to respond much quicker to any issues. The reason it went down a second time for so long was that we stayed late to ensure it was up and running and after waiting an hour after it being up we then left the office. This is when it went down again and we didnt notice until we arrived the following morning at 6am.

We now have at least one member of support on call 24/7 who will recieve notifications of any downtime 5 minutes after it occurs. This member of support will then be able to respond to the issue straight away rather than the next day.

We have learned a lot from this negative experience. We appreciate all those who have been bearing with us while we get this issues sorted and we belive this is the last of the matter. We also understand if you are so annoyed you wish to find another host and we wish you the best of luck with your radio station and you are most welcome back.

Bogget

Well i hate to be the bearer of bad news but your down again, i have restsred the server and i can not get a continuos connction, i get around 30 seconds sometimes 2 min then it disconects again it is now Sunday 10.45AM this is causing us a lot of problems we broadcast Gospel via your server as a link on Sunday mornings to centers around the country, so as you can imagine this is not a good situation.

We have backup servers why dont you.

When will we be back?

Bogget

Bogget

I also notice even when i am connected your status page shows me as not connected, PLEASE update me ASAP.

Bogget

Bogget

Time as of this email, it now seems to be stable (someone must be working in the background) 11.15AM im not holding my breath but been OK for 11 mins now, but it has been down all morning.

Bogget

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi Bogget. I think your recent issue is unrelated to the data centre move. Your server seems fine. Please send us an email if you notice anything odd in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.