Edcast on Windows 7

danny_wasp

Anyone tried it? I have and can't get it to connect, definitely a Win 7 thing as I've got an XP machine as well and that connects fine.

Oddcast (and edcast for Winamp) both instantly come up with Cannot connect to socket.

Tried disabling the firewall, admin permissions etc Just can't seem to get it up and running.

Can anyone else suggest another IceCast app? I've noticed that the support forums are geared up towards Shoutcast :eek:P

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi Danny. Unfortunately there just aren't that many out there which we could list. We dont have Windows 7 here yet so unable to test it from our end. We would be interested to know if any other users have had any success with Edcast and Windows 7 ?

danny_wasp

Ok, turns out I was being a complete lemon and in fact both apps work just fine with Windows 7.

Network configuration issues were causing problems but all fixed now - it just happened to be the first time I was trying to broadcast with Win 7.

Problem connecting with aac plus on edcast 3.1.21 and also ED Cast 3.37.2011.1214

I have installed each of the edcast versions above. In each instance i installed two encodes, both aac+ and one pushed to the local host and the second pushed the encode out to a server IP/port with password and mountpoint.

The local encode connects no problem and starts encoding with a transfer rate which is set to 64k. However when the 64k/aac+ for the second encode starts, it lists as being connected, audio levels stop and in essence it appears as if the Edcast pogram has crashed. after a timeout, it goes back to normal, with volume levels on the VU meter and the encode will do the normal countdown and again try to connect with the same results. Meanwhile the encode to the local host works just fine, and a second separate encoder pushes the encoded stream from the local host to a different server.

I have loaded the same set of encoders on a win xp box, with no issues connecting, so I know the password and mountpoint is valid. I have made sure that the windows firewall is off, there are no security issues as this is a direct internet connection not going through a firewall or router.

Help! any ideas welcomed.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
I have installed each of the edcast versions above. In each instance i installed two encodes, both aac+ and one pushed to the local host and the second pushed the encode out to a server IP/port with password and mountpoint.

The local encode connects no problem and starts encoding with a transfer rate which is set to 64k. However when the 64k/aac+ for the second encode starts, it lists as being connected, audio levels stop and in essence it appears as if the Edcast pogram has crashed. after a timeout, it goes back to normal, with volume levels on the VU meter and the encode will do the normal countdown and again try to connect with the same results. Meanwhile the encode to the local host works just fine, and a second separate encoder pushes the encoded stream from the local host to a different server.

I have loaded the same set of encoders on a win xp box, with no issues connecting, so I know the password and mountpoint is valid. I have made sure that the windows firewall is off, there are no security issues as this is a direct internet connection not going through a firewall or router.

Help! any ideas welcomed.

Hi Richard,

It is difficult for us to fault find this remotely. Its possible that running two instances of the same encoder could be conflicting but we do not think that is the issue here.

We would think its likely a mistake has been made somewhere along the line. It may be worth you trying this out with the BUTT encoder instead to see how you get on. butt (broadcast using this tool)

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member

is this in a virtual hosting company or a server connected to "raw internet" like a old NTL / Virgin modem (not router?) be careful for the rest of the machines on your network! if its a virtual host there will be other firewalls at the hosting company.

Also most programs like this must run as administrator on Win7 and also be installed away from c:\Program Files as that causes permissions issues and config files don't save properly

TBH I still use XP for streaming machines and just dedicate a whole computer to streaming (as do most live DJ's on Party Vibe Radio). An XP machine can be picked up very cheaply (often friends and relatives might donate "obsolete" PCs, clean up the drive/reformat it, install the correct soundcraft drivers, invest in a UPS in case you get powercuts and it works solid even 24/7. At Ipswich Community Radio we use a refurb XP PC for streaming and 24/7 recoridng of station output for Ofcom requirements and that is running 24/7...