First Post - Mixer Configuration Obstacle!!

ncastro340

Hey All.

I am about to begin my new internet radio network and I have run into an interesting situation.

To break it down, I will be running a talk show with my hosts are spread all over and they will be hosting their shows from their cell phone wherever they may be.

Initially these shows will not be live. They will be recorded and edited and then archived.
I will be recording a phone conversation with the host and their guest of choice (3 way phone conversation with my phone).

Now, in between talk sessions there will be a couple of ads per show. Which will be cued with music to make this transition (Primarily to keep everyone in sync on timing).

Where I am running into problems is I am not sure how I can enable the hosts to hear the music during their conversation?

All this to say: How can my hosts (from their cell phones) hear music I play..?

I could really use some help if anyone knows of a way to get around this.
Thanks in advance,
Nick

(I'm using an alesis multimix8 mixer and recording with audacity).

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hmmm.. We are still not 100% sure how this is supposed to work. But can you not just put the cell mic up to the speaker ?

ncastro340

Mixer Configuration Obstacle

Yes, I could do this. But I would like to have the music on its on channel so I have more control over the voices and the music independent of each other. If it's all being feed into the same channel (both host and guest voices as well as the music), I am unable to individually adjust the volume levels.

Is there a way anyone knows of so that I can have the phones and the music on their own individual channels and simultaneously have my hosts and guests hear the music??

(plus I would really like to feed the music digitally rather than recording from a speaker to into the phone).

Is there a piece of hardware that will allow me to do this, or maybe it's just a matter of configuration with my mixer..?

Bear with me if my questions are primitive and Thanks in advance,
Nick

ncastro340

Mixer Configuration Obstacle

I other words,

I need to isolate the host/guest conversation and isolate the music...but still have the host and guest hear the music. Keeping host/guest on a channel and music on another channel.

I hope this is more clear, I feel like I am using too many words to say very little.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
An standard external mixer would enable you to mix the two channels which you would then feed into your line-in port on your PC to stream to the radio. A monitor of the music channel could then be fed back over the phone to host / guest. This method would involve mic'ing up the speaker and speaker'ing up (not a real word) the mic on the phone.

To be honest it sounds a bit complicated and i keep thinking there would be some feedback problems.