Internet station with studios?

lockylive

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any internet radio stations that actually have their own premises and run from studios rather than all the presenters broadcasting from home which seems to be the norm.

telabadmanwot

I know a few but to be honest, even though they bill themselves as internet radio stations, in reality they are community FM radio stations that are also online.

I also know of a few DJs with setup's that put some FM and internet studios to shame.

Not sure I know of any Internet Only studio based stations.

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
its a common practice with UK Community radio stations - they use internet streams to augment the range of their low power Band II signal (made worse and in some rural areas you can get better 3G mobile coverage than you would with Band II due to hills/mountains. There are also a few net based community stations in London as Band II is allocated solid (at least by Ofcom standards though there is a strong argument that we are following outdated USA practice and could fit more in same as other EU countries do).

its worth being aware that even many years ago many famous presenters such as John Peel and Kenny Everett preferred to use their home studios and by the late 80s/early 90s British Telecom, the BBC and IBA/NTL worked together to use ISDN to send FM broadcast quality audio at 128 k/s. It did mean the radio station incurred costs of two 2 hour telephone calls to London but at least the bandwidth was guaranteed (unlike the Internet).

of course their home studios had to be designed to BBC or IBA/NTL specificiations but it shows there is nothing "unprofessional" about working in this manner, provided you have the space and use good technical/engineering practice. Some of the home studios Dutch folk have (including young teenagers) are perfectly good for EBU broadcast standards and combine both traditional broadcast consoles and DJ equipment for beatmixing.

You don't need to be a computer or electronics genius either, nor spend loads of money, there are folk who will give away "obsolete" computers that are perfectly useable for audio broadcasting and a £5 audio transformer stops some issues with interfacing them to analogue kit.

radio35

Yes, my station

Hi, I am not in the UK, in fact I'm based in Milan, Italy, but I have a real studio.
Check my website at Radio 35 to see pics
All the best,
Rob

laughlinb87

I think that there must be more and more Internet radio stations with real studios. Just take a look at how the revenue figures have been rising over the fast few years: Revenue - online radio 2003-2013 | Forecast

This most certainly has not been happening due to people broadcasting at home. Between 2008 and 2013, revenue has more than doubled.

Balvin

corefm based in milford haven wales uk does broadcasts from our studio in the town and we are not a community radio station we promote new artists etc from the area and beyond we also do live gigs with them and broadcast that on our webcam live channels from the gig venue.

COREfm

OldiesDJ

Re :

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any internet radio stations that actually have their own premises and run from studios rather than all the presenters broadcasting from home which seems to be the norm.

I actually built a studio in my home , not just off to the side , in a corner of the room like most , but an actual studio.
I am in it for the LONG haul so to speak though , not just a hobby. This is now my profession ( retired ) permanently.

John

studio.jpg

Harty

Transformer

Please provide details of the £5 transformer.

My set up now feature an severe earth hum, now that I have inserted a compressor and connected a phone line feed to my analogue mixer.

Cheers,
Steve

its a common practice with UK Community radio stations - they use internet streams to augment the range of their low power Band II signal (made worse and in some rural areas you can get better 3G mobile coverage than you would with Band II due to hills/mountains. There are also a few net based community stations in London as Band II is allocated solid (at least by Ofcom standards though there is a strong argument that we are following outdated USA practice and could fit more in same as other EU countries do).

its worth being aware that even many years ago many famous presenters such as John Peel and Kenny Everett preferred to use their home studios and by the late 80s/early 90s British Telecom, the BBC and IBA/NTL worked together to use ISDN to send FM broadcast quality audio at 128 k/s. It did mean the radio station incurred costs of two 2 hour telephone calls to London but at least the bandwidth was guaranteed (unlike the Internet).

of course their home studios had to be designed to BBC or IBA/NTL specificiations but it shows there is nothing "unprofessional" about working in this manner, provided you have the space and use good technical/engineering practice. Some of the home studios Dutch folk have (including young teenagers) are perfectly good for EBU broadcast standards and combine both traditional broadcast consoles and DJ equipment for beatmixing.

You don't need to be a computer or electronics genius either, nor spend loads of money, there are folk who will give away "obsolete" computers that are perfectly useable for audio broadcasting and a £5 audio transformer stops some issues with interfacing them to analogue kit.