Midi controllers for Mixxx

GeminiRadio

Hello all,I am looking for a midi controller for mixxx.I am looking for a good one,and something that wont break me bank...Thanks

GeminiRadio

I was about to but the Mixtrack pro to use with Mixxx,and was checking the microphone input.While on a google search,I came across Virtual DJ forum,and a post complaining that the mic didn't go through the software,when connected to mixtrack,as Virtual DJ couldn't hear it.A reply said a mixer would be needed with a midi controller.Is this true of all midi controllers? Thanks:)

Demo

A Mic will work on Mixtrack Pro and VDJ, You will just have to use Advanced settings within VDJ Setup. I use both with no problems :)

Last edited:

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
A reply said a mixer would be needed with a midi controller.Is this true of all midi controllers?

There are plenty of midi controllers that have mic inputs and do not require any additional mixer. Have a look for some with built in audio interfaces.

GeminiRadio

Hi again..I am thinking of a Gemini midi controller,that has a quarter inch mic input.I already have a rode usb microphone. Is there any way to use the usb mic with that controller.The problem I see is the power needed for the mic,which I get from an M audio interface.I like the sound of the Rode,but maybe I would have to get a dynamic microphone for the controller...Thanks:)

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi again..I am thinking of a Gemini midi controller,that has a quarter inch mic input.I already have a rode usb microphone. Is there any way to use the usb mic with that controller.The problem I see is the power needed for the mic,which I get from an M audio interface.I like the sound of the Rode,but maybe I would have to get a dynamic microphone for the controller...Thanks:)

Now I'm a bit confused - a USB mic normally doesn't get its phantom power from the audio interface, the USB supplies both. usually that would be a standard analogue mic with XLR connector.

CPC sell phantom power local boxes to connect such a mic to one without the supply.

you might be able to use the M-audio as a separate soundcard for the mic and your controller soundcard output as the "grams" source for mixing. But this can lead to lag/timing problems/audio disturbances.

TBH as even fairly decent analogue mixers (the soundcraft rotary pot ones are one type) are as cheap as £50 I'd set everything up analogue rather than depend on MIXXX to do multiple channel real time DSP.

Then use the m-audio soundcard as the input for the streaming

I've never got MIXXX to work well on anything, several different computers too but clearly there are a lot of folk using it. Maybe I'll try a linux build of it as I've ended up with a "spare" linux laptop at work ;)

Also most controllers come bundled with at least the lite version of DJ software which should do the job for most internet radio applications.

OK it may be an age thing (as well as working professionally as a broadcast engineer and more recently supporting and deploying business/safety critical systems for my day job but I never like the trend of "putting all your eggs in one basket" by having all the streaming, playout, jingles and audio processing on the same computer (that is also often used for web, chat, skype etc)

Often your family or friends might have "obsolete computers taking up space" that just need reformatting and even if you dont' use them for mixing you can do jingles/playout/streaming on one and net surfing on another..

Last edited:

GeminiRadio

[Now I'm a bit confused - a USB mic normally doesn't get its phantom power from the audio interface, the USB supplies both. usually that would be a standard analogue mic with XLR connector. ] Yes that is the way it is,the mic into the interface has XLR connector,sorry,I didn't make that very clear in my post.:)