Need to know correct service choice...

Mark1985

Following on from my previous thread, well sort of...

I am planning to do an online only radio which listeners can tune it to and that's it. Nothing more can be done. Just need to know the correct one from the list below please.

I think it's the third from the bottom need to make sure it's correct.

Hopefully someone will tell me which one it is, as none of the others apply to me.

Limited Online Music Licence (LOML)

Also with it saying... "music hours streamed"... does that mean the listening hours or what?

D

DiscoDave

As has been mentioned many times in this forum before, contact PPL and PRS directly so they can advise you on the correct licences.

D

DiscoDave

The third last option is for limited download and on demand streaming ONLY. You cannot do any live broadcasting with this licence. You'll also need to ask PRS what limitations are in place with the licence when they say "limited download". -

If you're doing LIVE streaming you need the second from the top:

"Pure webcasting service" - depending on how many streams you anticipate will depend on the cost. Remember if you under-estimate the number of streams you'll probably need to pay the difference between the next level of streaming or upgrade to the next licence.

This licence does not allow you to have any on-demand content (e.g. listen again or Podcast) if you plan to do this, you will need a different licence

You'll also need a PPL licence too... PRS and PPL are the correct people to ask - if you explain exactly what you're doing they will be able to help you. Rather than email, give them a call - if you don't understand, ask them to explain further.

Hope this helps.

HoddzDJ

Also with it saying... "music hours streamed"... does that mean the listening hours or what?

This is the hours that you are streaming for, it doesn't matter if you have 0 listeners or 60 listeners.

For example, if you are on aid streaming for 1 hour, with 40 listeners on Monday
then on air for two hours on Tuesday with 20 listeners
that would total 3 music hours streamed.

I hope that helps so far. I am going to make a note of this thread, so that I can look into it for you. But could you please also tell me exactly what your plans are for your site so that I can see what licenses you'll need to purchase.

Mark1985

Well I plan to have it at a maximum of 400-600 listeners. Also have live broadcast shows. 3 in total I think.

There will be pre-recorded ones as well.

It will be online 24/7.

There will be no listen back available on the site, no downloads. Nor will people be able to choose the songs to be played.

Last edited:
D

DiscoDave

You do need a PPL licence as well as PRS yes ...

PPL : Non-Interactive Radio

There are 2 licences Small and Standard. The link above takes you to the correct page on the website. Again, I would urge you to contact PPL directly to ensure you get the correct advice.

D

DiscoDave

With regards to your PPL licence : 1 listener tuned in for 1 hour = 1 listener hour.

40 listeners tuned in for 1 hour on Monday = 40 listener hours

30 listeners tuned in for 2 hours on Tuesday = 60 listeners hours

Your total over the 2 days = 100 listener hours.

The small PPL licence only allows you (from memory) 50 listener hours per day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark1985

I do hope to get more listeners per day of what the PPL offer possible around 200 ish on a 400-600 maximum listeners, as for PRS it's not a problem.

What would happen if I don't go for PPL?

Just can't understand why the PRS has a larger listening hours / more options available than the PPL.

Last edited:
D

DiscoDave

You have no choice - if you broadcast copyrighted commercial music you must have PRS and PPL licences...PPL stands for Phonographic Performances Ltd (e.g. all recorded music on CD, Tape, Vinyl, MP3 etc)

D

DiscoDave

PPL will let you know and you'll have to pay the difference and/or upgrade to the next level of licence, so if you're on the small one, you'd have to switch to the standard one which give you 500 listener hours per day.

You need to send in quarterly stats telling them your TLH (total listening hours) for each quarter.

Mark1985

Well it seems I have to fill out the PDF form...

On the PRS, for the "Pure Webcasting Service"... for where it says how many streams, is that the total listening hours?

Last edited: