Nicecast - silent connection

oysterproject

My server is working fine on auto dj so very pleased with that however when we connect Nicecast although we have a successful connection and track name appears in listeners player etc there is no audio at all, we've checked bitrates etc - can you point us in the direction of what could be problem, thanks

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi oysterproject

This sounds like a configuration issue with the nicecast or possibly your Mac OS Sound input settings. Check you have the correct input source set. Try changing them and selecting different inputs. If you still cant get it to work let us know exactly what you are trying to broadcast from and the settings you have used and we will help you further :)

oysterproject

config used

We tried capturing All System Sound and also selecting iTunes, Nicecast saw the server OK and our player on a separate machine displayed the correct iTunes song title etc, so it seems as if we had the link between the source, Nicecast, the server and the player but.... no sound at the destination.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
So are you trying to play what iTunes is playing ? If so you should select iTunes as the source and ensure the volume is turned up in iTunes and Nicecast. Does this help ?

oysterproject

Nicecast

Yes we did that and as I said in previous post the iTunes track name etc was correctly displayed on a listening machine, Nicecast also displayed successful connect to the server so we presumed the link was working, we just didn't get any audio out of the listening end. It sounds like a Nicecast problem to us but we wondered if you had come across similar problems in the past.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
We have used Nicecast alot in the past and never had this problem. It sounds very strange. We just cant seem to recreate it here. Your best bet is to contact the Nicecast Support for further help in the matter. We had a look through their konwledgebase and there was no mention of this issue. Please post up their response just in case any others have this problem.

rollinradio

Nicecast

Sounds pretty funny but you sure the machine you were monitoring the stream on was not in mute mode ?

Just an idea !

:p

oysterproject

yes, we did check that, we had sound functionality at both ends, a confirmed link between Nicecast, InternetRadio and the player on the receiving machine, and sound on that machine. The thing we didn't have was any sound from the track that was shown as playing at both ends.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Have you contacted Nicecast support on this ? :nerd: We just cant recreate this error here. Nicecast has always worked perfectly.

oysterproject

solution

WE checked all the settings etc and came to the conclusion we had a connection but for some unknown reason no sound/data going over it. So we re-installed Nicecast and it worked, obviously a glitch somewhere in the original install. Further installs of Nicecast have been fine so put it down to just one of those things.... :)

Nootski

Silent stream

Hi. After starting up Nicecast this morning, my stream was silent today, like described above, after some years of working flawlessly. It won't play iTunes sound, but it does for instance play Safari sound without a problem.
I didn't change any slider or setting. It just stopped doing iTunes. iTunes itself functions ok, with sound.
The only thing that changed in the last hours was the Java update for Mac OSX 10.5 of last night, but there is no ref to an audio connection on Apple's site.
I did a re-install of Nicecast on that Mac Mini, but to no avail.
On my iMac (same OS, same update) all works fine.
I wrote to Rogueamoeba but no answer yet.
Any ideas?

EDIT: It's horrible that one solves a problem after hours of searching and JUST after posting here. Sorry all. So, it is SOLVED. Somehow, in the 'multiple speakers' setting of iTunes, the computer itself got un-checked.

Last edited: