Output Levels Are Too Low...

Oldzskool

I have a Shoutcast stream and I use BUTT to broadcast to my Shoutcast server when I dj for various internet radio stations and also into clubs in Second Life. I Dj using Traktor Pro 2 and and external mixer (Pioneer DJM 600).

Now, in order to get the BUTT levels into the 0db/+1db (Yellow) area I have to red line the mixer levels all the way otherwise the levels in BUTT never go anywhere near out of the Green area... usually peaking around -9db or -3db area.

If the levels are not around the 0db/+1db Yellow area then the sound is not loud enough for my listeners but I don't want to have to red line the mixer in order for me to reach the desired output level especially if I am broadcasting from a proper gig on large sound system.

I have tried everything to increase the output levels in BUTT without red lining my mixer but I have had no success. I have also tried other Broadcasting software such as SimpleCast but the same problem persists.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, am I missing something obvious? Has BUTT not got its own level controller? Any solutions would be massively appreciated.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Have you checked the master out level within Traktor itself? Also, the volume of your soundcards line input on your computer?

Personally, we would stay in the green zone and avoid hitting anywhere too close to the 0db mark for an all round nice and clear signal. At the end of the day, the listeners can always turn their own volume levels up. Just as a club sound engineer can if you are playing on a large sound system.

Due to the "loudness wars" with modern musics production (especially dance music), its always best to try and avoid pushing the volumes too much harder in a digital domain. Digital distortion is not pleasant as you are most likely aware.

Oldzskool

Right for anyone struggling with the same issue as me... after some serious googling... I have discovered the answer!

BUTT accepts sound input best when it comes from RECORDING devices... So what I have done is run a cable from the laptops on board microphone (the one in the front) and plugged it into my mixers record out and then set the audio device in BUTT settings to "default PCM device" (yours could well be called something different) and VOILA!

BUTT levels can then be controlled by going into the windows "Manage Audio Devices". You can access this by right clicking on the speaker icon in Windows 7 tool bar choosing "Recording Devices" and then in the list right clicking on the appropriate microphone and choosing "properties" then Levels. I have two levels here "Microphone Boost" which is set to "0" and the other one "External Mic" which I have set really low at "5". Now my BUTT Vu meter is bouncing at just the right level and my mixer is barely clipping one red light.

This has puzzled me for months now and I am so pleased to have finally solved it, I really hope it helps somebody else in the future too!

This is the link where I found my answer if anyone is looking for a more detailed explanation.

Why Broadcast Using This Tool (BUTT) doesn't see your Sound Interface | dj sizzly

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Great, we are pleased that you managed to resolve this. We thought it was likely to do with your soundcards input levels.

Cheers for posting that link as well, hopefully this will be of some use to other users. 8)