periodically losing/gaining internet stations

tuuli

I have three http://forums.techguy.org/#internet radios in the house, apart from the pc's and laptops (a Logitech Squeezebox, a Pure Flow and a Onkyo AV receiver). None connect to the same stations at the same time. Occasionally, the stations switch. Stations that were obtainable on one radio will disappear only to magically appear on the others. At the moment, Radio City Helsinki streams on one radio but not the other two. A few weeks ago, it was the other way around. The same happens with Radio Rock (Finland) and now I have a problem playing BBC radio channels playing on two radios while they are still available on the others. BBC stations have until now been available on all the radios. Can anybody explain what's going on here?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
That is very odd? But we are afraid that we have no knowledge or experience with any of those devices though. We can only suggest contacting the makers for advice on this. We thinks its likely something to do with your network / router settings.

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
There have been widespread network problems affecting the Internet across Northern Europe, added to that some public service broadcasters operate their own content delivery networks (away from the normal Internet).

bandwidth for these is often shared with commercial broadcasters in that country , but with an expectation that at times of high demand, listeners in the "home countries" are prioritised Internet radio is not regulated by the Communications Ministry which has some advantages but also means there is no actual guarantee of service levels. A friend in Scandinavia told me many users of public broadcasters online streams were having problems this week.

There is also great a deal of interference on the 2.4 GHz band allocated to wifi - bluetooth phones, microwave ovens and analogue audio/video senders also operate on the same frequency. In areas near the coast, some communications satellites used to provide telecoms and Internet services on board ship use nearby frequencies. Some modern equipment is designed to switch channels and/or reconnect to get round this problem - but this creates a lot of multiple connections to the same IP to the content delivery server.

The BBC has taken a hammering reputation-wise due to the bad acts of some of its staff, its boffins are constantly on the lookout for hackers / denial of service. There is also a Europe-wide economic depression which is causing some nations to question the need for a public service broadcaster (Greece put its main PSB off air for some months). Many of those who still earn a full time salary as broadcast engineers are old enough to be my Dad (I am in my early 40s) and still think in "analogue days" and the mindset of someone who "fought and died in 3 world wars"

They ask the "young people" to check up on "what is going on with these new fangled computers", but since the 1990s do not provide the training and development that used to be a big part of working for a public service broadcaster, and the cross training and goodwill between the national broadcaster, and national telecoms organisation disappeared after privatisation.

So a lot of this work actually gets contracted out to generic IT companies, where its more normal to think "lots of connections from the same IP, something is dodgy" (as often a misconfigured piece of equipment as hackers) and block at least some of them, especially if they are from a foreign country.

Last edited: