Playlist Weight

RichardJ

Hi Support

We are currently using Centova Cast and are swapping soon to SAM Broadcaster.

Anyway just a quick question, what weight should our main playlist be? - we run 4 playlists at the moment but the other three just play a random track every 10 or 20 tracks. Our main playlist is just music playing randomly, i want to avoid repeats so each track get played.

Many thanks
Richard

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi Richard,

The Centovacast documentation (which can be found in your control panel under "Quick Links") explains the use of 'Playback Weight' within the playlists:

• Playback weight
    Specifies the "weight" for the playlist, which controls how often tracks from this playlist are played relative to tracks from other General Rotation playlists. This can be used to ensure that, for example, new releases (in one playlist) are played more frequently than older tracks (in another playlist).

Take, for example, a scenario in which you have the following General Rotation playlists:

Power rotation Weight: 6
    Heavy rotation Weight: 3
    Light rotation Weight: 1

In this example, for every 10 tracks that are played, on average, 6 will be selected from the Power rotation playlist, 3 will be selected from the Heavy rotation playlist, and 1 will be selected from the Light rotation playlist.

As such, you might place your most popular tracks (new releases, for example) in your Power rotation playlist, to ensure that they are played most frequently. You might place older favorites in the Heavy rotation playlist to ensure that they are still played often, though less often than the new releases. And you might place your less popular tracks in the Light rotation playlist to ensure that they are played only occasionally.

We hope this helps. :)

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
good explanation; although I will admit myself I still don't understand the playlist weights 100%
Hi Support

We are currently using Centova Cast and are swapping soon to SAM Broadcaster.

I'd look at the many free / open source alternatives before you spend money on an app like this; and if you have time and space TBH spend the money on hardware. A cheap Behringer mixer + 3 older/obsolete PC's can give you even more functionality! The feature set of SAM broadcaster is impressive but like many other digital audio apps it can often try to do "too much at once" which both confuses the operators and can even sound rough if not set up with a good understanding of the basic principles of how sound broadcasting works..

I've got about 3 or 4 of these apps installed on various PC's in my studio/workshop and TBH when I do get a rare chance to do a live show only use the carts/jingles....

Last edited: