potential client with a query

U

Unregistered

Recently I have broadcast a few radio shows using my own broadband connection for listeners to listen in on, obviously this is not ideal way to do it. I'm looking to start doing this more regularly but I have a few questions about how it all works. Over the next month or so I plan on doing some shows lasting anything between 1 and 3 hours and between 1 and 3 times per week, I'll probably be streaming at about 96kbps.

Going by the last few shows listeners tune in and out randomly, I expect my listeners will range from between 10 and 40 sometimes increasing as I play some local unsigned bands as they will have people tuning in specifically for them and probably tuning out afterwards.

Sorry about the long winded story but as I said I'm slightly confused about how it works.

So my questions are...

...If I go pay and go and buy a bundle of bandwidth am I right in thinking that my listeners could fluctuate and my bandwidth allowance would decrease accordingly? For example if I broadcast for 1 hour at 96kbps and have 3 listeners for the first 30mins and 6 listeners for the next 30mins my used bandwidth in the first 30mins would be half of what my 2nd 30mins would be

I would also like to know if I have the option of changing the bitrate or would I need to decide on a bitrate and stick with it?

Any help in understanding would be much appreciated

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
We are happy to answer your questions :)

...If I go pay and go and buy a bundle of bandwidth am I right in thinking that my listeners could fluctuate and my bandwidth allowance would decrease accordingly? For example if I broadcast for 1 hour at 96kbps and have 3 listeners for the first 30mins and 6 listeners for the next 30mins my used bandwidth in the first 30mins would be half of what my 2nd 30mins would be

Yes you are correct :)

I would also like to know if I have the option of changing the bitrate or would I need to decide on a bitrate and stick with it?

You can send us an email and we will change your bitrate as you need. Alternatively just choose the highest bitrate you expect to broadcast at when you sign up. Essentially what happens if you try and broadcast over your max bitrate the server will switch itself off after 5 minutes (requiring you to login to the control panel and turn it back on again).

Best of luck with your radio :)