Recent Tracks snippet/widget, id3 tag and image size

PigpenSocial

Regarding the images that are displayed on the recent tracks snippet/widget.

I am considering adding image files to my MP3s.

Is there a specific ID3 tag for the image?

What is the preferable size of the image?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Most converters will let you add an image, I personally use 'Easy CD-DA' for most audio file conversions and this allows you to load any image for the files. You can also load / save artwork into the ID3 tags of files in Winamp as well. Any image size can be loaded, but you will want to make sure that the pixels are equal in height and width so that the image looks correct.

PigpenSocial

Hiya,

I have tried with 400 x 400 pixel images in the folder and attached to the mp3 as a tag (using EasyTag on Linux, image tag 'Other' and also tried 'Cover').

Both of these methods display the image. However, there are black bars down the sides, and on the webpage the image element is 50 x 43 pixels.

Am I doing something wrong?

PigpenSocial

Using Audacious on Linux, the stream does not display an image, but playing the local mp3 file (with the image as a tag) displays the image with correct dimensions.

Also the recent widget sometimes does not display the image, displaying a '?' instead (screenshot attached). Dimensions of '?' image is 50x43

. 2013-08-29-131645_1024x600_scrot.jpg

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Using Audacious on Linux, the stream does not display an image, but playing the local mp3 file (with the image as a tag) displays the image with correct dimensions.

The stream does not display any images here in either Winamp or VLC. Unfortunately I don't have a Linux system at hand nor am I familiar with Audacious. But one of our Support guys is an avid Linux user, so he might be more familiar. So will have to get back to you on that one.

Also the recent widget sometimes does not display the image, displaying a '?' instead (screenshot attached). Dimensions of '?' image is 50x43

Are they all .jpeg images? It could be a problem with reading the files types if not? Also, when you updated your library did you use "Perform full library update" rather than just "Update media library"?

PigpenSocial

double checked images are definitely square. uploaded them to the same folder as my mp3s. did a full library update. images in the media also do not appear square, they also are slightly wider with black borders.

2013-09-02-140939_1024x600_scrot.jpg

PigpenSocial

We can only suggest trying to encode them with another program.

I do not believe that re-encoding the mp3 files will make a difference. The images are not tags part of the mp3 file. The mp3 files themselves contain no image information. The image is a seperate jpg file that I uploaded via ftp to the same folder as the mp3 files.

PigpenSocial

Any image size can be loaded, but you will want to make sure that the pixels are equal in height and width so that the image looks correct.

I have deduced that the image must be 50 pixels wide and 43 pixels high in order for it to be displayed correctly.

If they are of equal height and width then it adds the black bars each side.

Problem solved :)

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
I do not believe that re-encoding the mp3 files will make a difference. The images are not tags part of the mp3 file. The mp3 files themselves contain no image information. The image is a seperate jpg file that I uploaded via ftp to the same folder as the mp3 files.

OK we see, we must have overlooked you mentioning this. Apologies. But it might have been worth tagging the images to the actual Mp3 file at the encoding stage. That's the way we would have done it ourselves.

I have deduced that the image must be 50 pixels wide and 43 pixels high in order for it to be displayed correctly.

If they are of equal height and width then it adds the black bars each side.

Problem solved :)

Oh right OK, that seems quite odd that you would need to do it that way, but at least you managed to figure it out in the end! :)