Stats Question?

How accurate are the stats in the reporting package please?

I am amazed to see that we have had 31436 listener sessions from Germany in the last 30 days for example.

Would I be right in thinking that in the last 30 days, people have tuned into AnfieldFM on 31436 seperate occassions?

I mean I am delighted if that is the case, but I am shortly pitching our advertising rate card to some large-ish worldwide brands and I am just slightly dubious that the figures I am quoting them are what I think they are!!

Also it seems like we get a spike in our daily listener stats once each day, where we shoot up from say 10 listeners to 60 or 70 at totally random times.

Any explanation for this or than it is just happening as reported?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi RocketRadio

They are basically accurate yes. But there are some caveat's you should be aware of :) Icecast servers include requests to the admin status page as a "session". If you look at the listeners tab in the stats you will see "Top Listeners by Listener Sessions" contains ip's with 0 data transfer. This accounts for a lot of those "sessions".

There might be a bug on some stats that cause incorrect data when a display period other than "30 days" is chosen. But this only affects some accounts in some circumstances. Hope to have this fixed in a future control panel update.

The best data to give an accurate representation of your stations listenership would be TLH (total listener hours). You can see this in the stats overview. i.e. "We have had xxxx total listener hours over the last 30 days."

Also it seems like we get a spike in our daily listener stats once each day, where we shoot up from say 10 listeners to 60 or 70 at totally random times.

The graphs display tune-ins (not concurrent listeners) so listeners are probably tuning in and out a lot. Maybe this is a particularly popular time of the day/week for listeners to browse stations.

Hope this helps :nerd:

Hi RocketRadio

They are basically accurate yes. But there are some caveat's you should be aware of :) Icecast servers include requests to the admin status page as a "session". If you look at the listeners tab in the stats you will see "Top Listeners by Listener Sessions" contains ip's with 0 data transfer. This accounts for a lot of those "sessions".

There might be a bug on some stats that cause incorrect data when a display period other than "30 days" is chosen. But this only affects some accounts in some circumstances. Hope to have this fixed in a future control panel update.

The best data to give an accurate representation of your stations listenership would be TLH (total listener hours). You can see this in the stats overview. i.e. "We have had xxxx total listener hours over the last 30 days."

The graphs display tune-ins (not concurrent listeners) so listeners are probably tuning in and out a lot. Maybe this is a particularly popular time of the day/week for listeners to browse stations.

Hope this helps :nerd:

Just following up on your response there support, we are now growing all of our stats and have increased total listener session to over 80,000 in the last 30 days.

But you pointed me towards "total listener Hours" as an accurate metric, of which we've had 2283 in the last 30 days.

Can you give me an idea of the size of this metric in relation to other stations on your platform?

What I am really getting at is, are we really growing and if so, how do we compare in relation to other stations on the platform?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
We haven't really done any statistical analysis of average growth of radio stations we host. Graphing the TLH would obviously show you your growth over time. We run so many other radio stations it would be quite difficult for us to generate and take an average of them all. Sorry we can't give you anything concrete. :nerd:

Obviously by monitoring your own TLH any sort of growth is good :)