Stream servers other then ShoutCast or IceCast.

umpie

I have been trying to get a live audio streaming to work. But so far I keep failing.

What I want:
Connect an audio source to my computer, and stream it to my local wifi or external trough my Internet router.

Since I want to be able to connect to the streaming outside my home a DLNA server (like for example Windows Media Player) would not work.

I also don't want to be a DJ, where I need to have a playlist or select MP3s. I just want to stream my LIVE-audio input. And it just for private use. I don't need any public listing.

I want the streaming not to interrupt my normal work on my computer. So I want to be able to keep using (and closing) programs like WinAmp, VLC, Spotify and Windows Media Player.
So I don't to stream using these to needed for the streaming.

I tried Icecast and ShoutCast.
I did not manage to get my phone to receive the streaming from IceCast, I did connect, but that was all.
I knew that my phone does work on a radiostation I know that uses ShoutCast, so I tried that.

But both stream-server seem to be so complicated. They use scripts, config files, lose programs, manual starting, Dos-screen-running programs. From my view (as someone who has been working with lots of Windows-software/tools) these programs are plain badly designed.
Why does a WINDOWS program not have a WINDOWS user-interface???
And why does a SERVER not have the standard option to install it as a Service???

Are there any good other programs that can provide streaming the easy way?
Or how do get these programs to run securely on the background. Without the risk that it might get closed unintentionally. And where can I find a step-by-step manual of how to configure.

The manual that tells me to "edit the required fields in the config file before starting the server" is to my a manual at all.