Using other dj's

JSMITH

Hello there, could someone explain the process for letting other dj's play on my site please?
Is it a simple case of giving them Edcast (or similar)with the settings i use myself?
Also how would i keep control over this, i know i could stop the server at ay time but i am looking for dj's to fill som time slots and would like the transition to be smooth from one dj to another.
Any help willbe appreciated.
cheers
J

Xast

:)

Well from what i know with shoutcast, everyone uses all the same connection details to connect to the server. Although if you fire a staff member.. the password must be changed so the fired staff member cannot gain access to the server.

Say DJ boo is on air and he wants DJ rainbow to go on air... Dj boo would count him in to connect.

So.. Boo would disconnect then really quickly tell rainbow to Go on air.

NOTE: this is how shoutcast works. I'm not sure if the same applies for Edcast

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
JSmith: Yes this is correct. Xast is right about changing the password if you want to stop the access of a DJ.

Xast: Edcast is an encoder (not server) :)

Obsidian

So lets say the current dj will countdown 20 at the same time as the dj about to take over and the both dissconnect and connect at the same time? is there a few seconds in this?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
So lets say the current dj will countdown 20 at the same time as the dj about to take over and the both dissconnect and connect at the same time? is there a few seconds in this?

Can you go into some more detail about what you mean ?

Obsidian

Sorry for the poor explanantion! What i mean is how do I finish my DJ set and another Dj in a different location using the same serva info as me take over from me without breaking the stream? Sombody above mentioned that you need to countdown to the point that you dissconnect.

Hope that makes more sense of what i mean

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Ahh yes we see now :) You should obviously try and make the connection times close to each other but the listeners wont get kicked if you disconnect. In the settings under advanced is "Disconnect listeners if source disconnects" which is set to No by default. Hope this helps.

Obsidian

Hi again,

Thanks for that reply! I have been practicing this with another DJ and for some reason, when I dissconnect, it dosnet go over to the other dj playing! It just stops and then bounces back to the last track I was playing and plays bits of the last track i was streaming? very strange!!! How do I stop this from happenening ? I want to just finish my set and the next dj take over!

I found that by stopping the server and starting it again it is ok but i still need to close the web player page and re open it again to be able to hear the next dj, but the listeners wont know to do this?

I cant wait until i know what im doing lol

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi Obsidian

This is most likely related to you both having slightly differing stream settings. Make sure you are both streaming at the same bitrate / samplerate / channels (and of course codec, i.e. mp3). Let us know how you get on.

Obsidian

Hi!

Thanks for your reply! we are both using exactly th same settings, which is why it is so bizarre! Does he have to wait for a while before connecting after i have disconnected? Is there anything else you can think of that we could be doing wrong? And why after i dissconnect would the web player keep playing snippets of the last track i played?

Thanks for being patient with me, i hate computers lol

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
The web player could be the problem. Do you still have the same problem when you make the change but are tune in from the standalone players (like winamp / vlc / itunes etc...) ? We are replacing all the web players soon with a much better one.