Webcaster License / Custom License / features

JCG

Hi :) I'm looking into starting a tiny radio station, non commercial. At least in the beginning, it wouldn't have many shows atall, just me DJing once or twice a week.
The licence people recommended the Webcaster license. But, listeners cannot pause or skip using Webcaster license. & Nowadays, I feel people expect / are accustomed to being able to do that. So, it looks like I need a "customised radio service" or "on-demand programme streaming" (I've pasted the definitions underneath). But on the other hand, I could easily give listeners those options, by just uploading shows on MixCloud, SoundCloud etc. (Instead of getting custom/on demand license). So does anyone have experience of either Webcaster or customised or on-demand licenses? And why they are good / bad etc? Or any suggestions about which license you think will be best for me? Thank you :) J
Customised radio serviceA customised online radio service is where a listener cannot control which track they listen to but can skip to the next track or pause the webcast.
We assess licence requests on a case-by-case basis.
On-demand programme streamingThese programmes are non-downloadable audio programmes made available on a website for listeners to stream when they want (for example, ‘listen again’ services).

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi JCG,

If you were DJ'ing live then this does not support pausing or skipping anyway. I would not necessarily say that listeners expect to be able to pause a live show either!

JCG

Thanks :) I didn't realise you can't pause/skip live shows. But thinking about it, that does make sense. So I guess listeners could only pause/skip pre-recorded & auto DJ..

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
The AutoDJ feature is essentially still a live stream except for being automated by scheduled playlists, so no you cannot pause or skip this either.