What are you doing?

lockylive

I think in recent years internet radio has been a niche market, with most only getting a handful of listeners, the big ones getting a couple of hundred. With the increase of mobile devices, mobile internet and unlimited bandwidth internet radio is really on the increase and I would be surprised if over the next year or 2 if we dont see a massive explosion of internet radio. Something the big national stations are refusing to address at the moment...which is good for us :)

Anyway, I see a lot of stations with a lot of slots to fill and I was wondering what (if anything) you are doing that might be different to others. I don't really mean a specific genre or cause for a station but maybe you have something that works really well for you. I'm not expecting anyone to share any closely guarded secrets either, but we need to support each other.

Locky

telabadmanwot

I dont run a station, but I do provide a show to a lot of internet (and FM / Pirate) radio stations, the good ones PAY MONEY to their DJs. They have a higher quality of show, much, much more listeners and advertisers pay to advertise on the station. My show reaches over 180,000 people across all the internet/FM/Pirate stations.

Amazingly, when offering my free to air show (I also provide exclusive radio shows to spec and my dj fee is given by the station to the excellent Cancer charity Macmillian) I have been asked by radio stations to PAY for them to give me a slot??? Or requests to provide my show with their name on it, for free and broadcast to an audience of 5.

I like to support new stations, I contact a few of the better looking ones to offer my professional services for FREE, remarkably the vast majority do not get back to me at all (not very professional) or unfortunately, they close the station before it is really given a chance to grow (at least 6 months).

What I dont understand, more than anything, is why new stations with next to no content and very few listeners, demand DJs perform live. If you are a good, in demand DJ, you are unlikely to be able to reliably commit to a broadcast time every week, gigs, festivals and life just gets in the way too much.

I think being flexible is key to the success of a new internet station. Give up the drugs (if that's your thing) and don't forget that money makes the world go around. The best stations I deal with run their station as a business and they respect their DJs, as without them the station is silent.