Best equipment and what ?

axl

Starting from scratch what's the best mixers, necessary equipment etc ?? already have the winamp/shoutcast set up and have DARP all installed ........ next step ??

D

DiscoDave

It's really up to you what equipment you want to use in your studio and how much you want to spend. You can see what equipment we use by checking out the About Us page on the website below. I'm sure others will want to comment too..

Hope this helps.

rollinradio

Equipment

Depends what you want to do ?
My setup consits of -
2 x Technic's SL1210mk3
1 x Numark Mixer
1 x Shure SM58 mic
Numark KCD500

I also use Virtual dj when I am feeling lazy

If You just play single tracks (no need for mixing) you can create a playlist in winamp and just change the input option on the dsp box. (this is the much cheaper option)

RollinRadio.

MMAunltd

Talk show

Hi everyone, new here!

We (MMAunltd Magazine) are looking to expand from our traditional print product by putting together a daily live broadcast (approx 1-2hrs). We are currently in the very early stages so even such things as what equipment we need has to be established.

- Talk show
- Phone-in feature

Won't be playing any commercial music.

Any help is much appreciated, advice, links to equipment, links to help.

Thanks in advance
Simon

MMAunltd Magazine

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi MMAunltd

Im not 100% sure how you would enable a call in phone call to be broadcast but a microphone and a pc is the bare minimum for this.

I wonder if any of our other users have managed a live phone call on their radio ?

rollinradio

Live calls !

By far the cheapest way of doing this live calls is to get a spare headset (hands free) for the phone in question.

Cut the ear ends off and solder on some phono (rca connectors) plug straight into your mixer, the quality is as good as the line - make sure you dont cross wire and preferred with a copper wire center.

I used to do this all the time at one stage - I am guessing you mean a mobile phone call ?
If you are on about a landline check some of the major retailers our phones at work come with headsets so you could do the same.

http://rollinradio.net:rofl:

axl

Thanks for the reply guys, Dave the TD1 set up looks really impressive ! what amp and compression are you using ?

JudgeJoey

Starting from scratch what's the best mixers, necessary equipment etc ?? already have the winamp/shoutcast set up and have DARP all installed ........ next step ??

What you need next is a MK4 Deck or what ever deck that you use with your main PC. What system is your PC Running on at the moment so far? If it is win 7 Sweet, that is Awesome because using XP It is not good @ all mate / Madam.

The Herclues MK4 is a very good Deck I have to say.
Cause I have one and it is the best I used so far. :)

JudgeJoey

Live calls?

Live calls :O This is what I think about Live calls And I have spoken to someone about this before, And this person was telling me Cause of my internet connection is bad all the time, as in a not great connection due to the Internet exchange. If you are wanting Live calls do remember on what you want them for. A Chat show, Talk show? My best heed to to is: Do check your local ISP for Further Information I checked with mine, and my connection is totally crap! To be polite with this Subject. Yes It is a good way to have Live calls coming into your booth when you are announcing, great! Hope it works out for you.

By far the cheapest way of doing this live calls is to get a spare headset (hands free) for the phone in question.

Cut the ear ends off and solder on some phono (rca connectors) plug straight into your mixer, the quality is as good as the line - make sure you dont cross wire and preferred with a copper wire center.

I used to do this all the time at one stage - I am guessing you mean a mobile phone call ?
If you are on about a landline check some of the major retailers our phones at work come with headsets so you could do the same.

http://rollinradio.net:rofl:

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
What you need next is a MK4 Deck or what ever deck that you use with your main PC. What system is your PC Running on at the moment so far? If it is win 7 Sweet, that is Awesome because using XP It is not good @ all mate / Madam.

The Herclues MK4 is a very good Deck I have to say.
Cause I have one and it is the best I used so far. :)

these devices are called "DJ Midi controllers".

They have taken over from the "grams" or "decks" (vinyl turntables) especially for those who play EDM and mix with beatmatching - unless you have a multi channel soundcard already is better to get one of these built in with the controlller.

There are also CDJs which act as both conventional CDJs and midi controllers which you can use with a mixer which is also a midi controller. This can all get complicated and if you are not already a EDM DJ and know about these things then do some research about them. The kit goes from basic cheap stuff to way expensive but its good practice to get the best you can afford. I think that it has made becoming a EDM DJ way more affordable than the vinyl days!

Also the full versions of the software are worth investing in, and don't rob the tunes either - €2.00 for a tune in full WAV quality shouldn't be breakign the bank and with both CD sales gone and zero tolerance stopping live events in large chunks of some countries the artists need their support.

you might also find that running your kit in analogue mode sounds better when doing creative mixing (use your ears, the difference is very subtle!) this may then mean having to use another soundcard or even a separate PC for streaming. if you have the physical space then this isn't a bad idea - its what "proper" professional stations do, one reason being is that should your main computer playing music crash badly, you can still play out jingles through the other one, or talk via a microphone on the analogue mixer or play out some other analogue music from a suitable source whilst the digital kit it restarts. OK you might not have to explain to the Communications Ministry or a large media corporate manager why there is dead air on TX but it still doesn't sound professional..

in Holland many hobby DJ's have built whole studios as good as many of the commercial stations using off the shelf equipment. They do get more holidays from work and college than even other Europeans but even so there are many good practices there we could do worse than to follow.

Last edited:

GeminiRadio

Hello all.just joined today after reading the fprum for a while.I am wondering what is the best to use for internet station.Traktor or virtual dj,and which version.Is it possible to do this with either of those programmes.I am planning on cd players and mixer down the line,Any information would be great...Thanks:)

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hello all.just joined today after reading the fprum for a while.I am wondering what is the best to use for internet station.Traktor or virtual dj,and which version.Is it possible to do this with either of those programmes.I am planning on cd players and mixer down the line,Any information would be great...Thanks
emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Hi Gemini Radio,

Firstly, welcome to Internet Radio and our forums. 8)

Either of those programs will do the trick and we would recommend just using the latest versions available if possible, but older versions are still more than sufficient if not.

However, please note that Traktor only allows for streaming in Ogg Vorbis. So for this you would require an Icecast server.

We also have a guide for configuring 'Virtual DJ' for use with Shoutcast servers here: http://forum.internet-radio.com/guides/1702-virtual-dj-shoutcast-guide.html

:)

GeminiRadio

Hi Gemini Radio,

Firstly, welcome to Internet Radio and our forums. 8)

Either of those programs will do the trick and we would recommend just using the latest versions available if possible, but older versions are still more than sufficient if not.

However, please note that Traktor only allows for streaming in Ogg Vorbis. So for this you would require an Icecast server.

We also have a guide for configuring 'Virtual DJ' for use with Shoutcast servers here: http://forum.internet-radio.com/guides/1702-virtual-dj-shoutcast-guide.html

Thank you very much for your reply,and the link.:)

GeminiRadio

I used the fre version of Virtual Dj,and while I didnt expect anything for free,I only got ten mins broadcast.I found the Virtual DJ link very helpful! Another question I have is can I see my radio player,as other user see it.Thanks again:)

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
I used the fre version of Virtual Dj,and while I didnt expect anything for free,I only got ten mins broadcast.I found the Virtual DJ link very helpful!

You will require at least the Broadcaster version of Virtual DJ in order to stream your station. Even though this is not free, it is still fairly cheap to purchase. (Sorry, we should made that more clear to you in our previous post).

Another question I have is can I see my radio player,as other user see it.Thanks again:)

Please could you clarify some more as to what you mean by this? Do you have an account with us as we cannot seem to find any "Gemini Radio"?

GeminiRadio

You will require at least the Broadcaster version of Virtual DJ in order to stream your station. Even though this is not free, it is still fairly cheap to purchase. (Sorry, we should made that more clear to you in our previous post).

Please could you clarify some more as to what you mean by this? Do you have an account with us as we cannot seem to find any "Gemini Radio"?

Thanks,I can get the broadcast version so.No I dont have an account with you.What I meant is...Can I see my own shoutcast player,as I see other shoutcast station players.I hope I have put it a bit better now.I added a header to the player,and want to see how it fits.I typed the name of the radio but had no luck.Thanks.

GeminiRadio

No that is not my radio...but I just got it sorted,like most problems,it was staring me in the face.Is it 25 listeners with the free shout cast? I came across Mixxx dj sofware free.Any idea if that is good with shoutcast...Thanks again.

Last edited: