Do I need a license ?

Demo

Hi amateurdj.
It is the station responsibility to have all the correct licence in place and Not the DJ / Presenter so you are safe to distribute your pre-recorded shows to anyone who wants them.

amateurdj

Hi amateurdj.
It is the station responsibility to have all the correct licence in place and Not the DJ / Presenter so you are safe to distribute your pre-recorded shows to anyone who wants them.
Thanks a lot for the answer. I'll finish polishing up the first few episodes then.

Just as an add on question here does this extend to their being no need for a license on the client side with regards to 'format shifting' the songs into the recordings to the file that is sent to the broadcasters or is that a different minefield?

MedwayRadio

Thanks a lot for the answer. I'll finish polishing up the first few episodes then.

Just as an add on question here does this extend to their being no need for a license on the client side with regards to 'format shifting' the songs into the recordings to the file that is sent to the broadcasters or is that a different minefield?
You are right in that licensing is a minefield. Assuming you are talking about music licencing here and UK based

As mentioned previously, a station requires appropriate licencing in place to BROADCAST music and your show content may have to align with the conditions of the licence(s) the station has, for example, only a certain number of tracks within a timeframe, provide all the detail of the tracks etc etc.

However as a producer of a product you may need SEPARATE licences to those above. A PPL/PRS licence for COPYING commercial music comes to mind. A investigation/discussion with PRS/PPL/MCPS may be required. Good Luck

Last edited: