Do I need a license ?

Discussion in 'FAQ' started by Support, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Support

Support Level 1 Support Staff Member

2. DJ Jaffa Cake

DJ Jaffa Cake New Member

I recently started a station and then closed it again. I used to be a Mobile/Club DJ (30 years man and boy) but due to ill health have had to give up. The Idea of a radio station appealed to me as i had saved a lot of my old jingles and mixes and playlists that i played and so started a small thing on livewebdj just playing tracks, I was quite excited at the prospect and then came the bombshell when a friend said do you need a license?? Having thought about it for a week or so I have closed down my fledgling station (it only lasted 10 days). I only did it for friends but record companies do not see it like that. I found it all very muddled and hazy, there is no straight forward definition of what you are covered for, and prices are even more of a grey area. For instance I would have been effectively broadcasting from the USA and yet sitting at home in the UK. I found the administration help on livewebdj virtually non existent. Only answering tickets once a week, usually on a Monday/tuesday Morning. This is not good for someone worried about breaking any rules. When i did contact Steamlicensing i wasn't even answered. I have therefore shelved my wicked plans (lol) to dominate the internet airwaves with my musical knowledge and tunes. I am still interested in it all though hence my reasoning for signing up here. My ill health means i have a quite a lot of time on my hands, without going into to many specifics, I can't walk and am in pain daily. The thought of a station being on air even if i was ill appealed to me no end and i had it set up and playing within 30 minutes and had a handful of friends listening. I applaud anyone who has the bravery to start up something. I suppose my story is not unusual but I stopped because i know if i was hit with a licensing fine i could not pay it. Anyway as this is my first post and i thought i'd say hello and thanks for accepting my membership on this forum. I love listening to all the stations and have found a few good one this evening and am avidly listening now.

3. Support

Support Level 1 Support Staff Member

General Lighting likes this.
  4. DJ Jaffa Cake

DJ Jaffa Cake New Member

Hi there, and thanks for the welcome. I had not even considered it to be honest. I will look into it. thanks for the suggestion and if anyone see's my post and would like a hand with their station, I'd be only to pleased to help. I love all types of music.

Support likes this.
  5. Feroze777

Feroze777 New Member

Hello there,
    I am coming up with a community website in USA on Jan 1st. 2016 and wants to play another music website on our website with embedded link.
    1. Do I need a license for this ?
    2. Do I need a permission to embed link?
    3. Do I have to pay royalties ?

Please advise
    Thank you

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  6. LG73

LG73 New Member

I'm in Canada and am licenced through SOCAN. This is very convenient as it provides global coverage as SOCAN has reciprocal agreements with other organizations globally including BMI and ASCAP.

Cheers,
    Philip
    LG73 Internet Radio

7. Feroze777

Feroze777 New Member

Thank you for your quick response.
    Do you know if there is permission required ?
    How much you are paying for license ?

8. LG73

LG73 New Member

Hi Feroze777. What you want to get is the Tariff 22.F Application for Licence Excel form they have on the SOCAN site. It includes a handy calculator to figure out what your annual rate would be. A link for the form is on this page: https://www.socan.ca/content/tariff-22f

As far as I know you don't need permission from anyone to get SOCAN licencing. You can apply for the licence on-line at http://www.socan.ca/licensees/apply

In my case for 2015 it was $100 + GST for each of my two stations. My stations have zero revenue and monthly expenses for streaming, hosting etc. but most "hobbies" these days cost money! For now the SOCAN licencing seems very fair to me as far as price goes.

Regards,
    Philip

DJ Jaffa Cake likes this.
  9. DJ Jaffa Cake

DJ Jaffa Cake New Member

Interesting post Philip, i have looked for a price on that page but can't find one. I would be very interested in this for my station if i get it going again, my outgoings were around $25 a month, no revenues as i didn't play adverts. I am currently looking at https://www.pronetlicensing.com/index.shtml
    however with them you have to have a website and you have t display the license badge on your page and through a specific player, all good however my friends have iphones and i don't think their flash/java players work on Iphones. shame they can't have a HTML5 based player as this would work fine then. I would also be interested in hookng up with any UK based DJ's looking to start up a small hobby station. however the whole thing would have to be licensed as there is no way of me starting back up without being covered.

just been listening to LG73, very good set up,

my main issues are i am based in the UK, and livewebdj and the stream are USA based. my website if i get one would could be USA or UK, where would i stand with all that.