Listener numbers - sources?

Luna

Hello! When I check my station here on internet-radio.com, it seems like it shows the amount of listeners currently connected. As my statistic app shows lower numbers: From where do these numbers come from? I got a shoutcast stream and as well own apps for iOs and Android, but as the stream address is always the same....why are the numbers here significantly higher (almost double)? is it possible that the App stream is counted seperately? Any help would be much appreciated.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi Luna,

Yes it does sound like the app is possibly just counting the tune-ins connecting via the app itself. Your servers control panel statistics will give you the exact amount of connected listeners overall including those connected via the app.

LionPaw

yes i have had this problem for months also.on the centova panel it will say i had 33 listeners last night and drain all my pre paid balance but the dnas says the station peaked at 13.so why are we being charged for these errors?

More Support

Level 2 Support
Staff member
yes i have had this problem for months also.on the centova panel it will say i had 33 listeners last night and drain all my pre paid balance but the dnas says the station peaked at 13.so why are we being charged for these errors?

Hi Lionpaw,

The 33 is the amount of people who tuned in during that time period and not necessarily at the same time. The 13 shoutcast DNAs "peak" listeners are the amount of listeners tuned in at the same time. Hopefully this helps clear up the confusion. This is not an error.

Luna

Ok....let´s get closer to the numbers count. My own shoutcast adress monitoring shows ALL listeners connected via whatever media including the app at the same time. The numbers shown on the website internet-radio.com are significantly higher. You said above that this number is showing "amount of people who tuned in during that time period and not necessarily at the same time.". So to what time period exactly are you refering to? 1 hour, 24 h? Could we say it counts the stream hits (people tuning in and off)? but from when to when?
I hope you understand what I mean.
I am also monitoring another station where the numbers on the internet-radio.com page are the same than the numbers counted via the shoutcast stream adress, so this is even more confusing.
I know that stations use your numbers shown on the start page as a reference for "listeners tuned in right now" and this is not right, so I really have to know. thank you.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Ok....let´s get closer to the numbers count. My own shoutcast adress monitoring shows ALL listeners connected via whatever media including the app at the same time. The numbers shown on the website internet-radio.com are significantly higher. You said above that this number is showing "amount of people who tuned in during that time period and not necessarily at the same time.". So to what time period exactly are you refering to? 1 hour, 24 h? Could we say it counts the stream hits (people tuning in and off)? but from when to when?
I hope you understand what I mean.
I am also monitoring another station where the numbers on the internet-radio.com page are the same than the numbers counted via the shoutcast stream adress, so this is even more confusing.
I know that stations use your numbers shown on the start page as a reference for "listeners tuned in right now" and this is not right, so I really have to know. thank you.

What's your accounts username please Luna, we shall take a look ourselves.

The time period that we were referring to above was for each hour of the reporting period and yes this is including the stream hits with people tuning in and out. But the 'Reports' section is not in real-time, those reports are generated each day. You can monitor the real-time stats under 'Listeners' and also from your servers index page.

You may also find the following section of the Centovacast control panels user manual helpful with understanding your reports: http://www.centova.com/doc/cast/user_manual/02_reference_manual/06_statistics_report

Luna

I am not your customer (yet), but considering it! I have only one Shoutcast V2 - stream and I can look it up simply on the shoutcast.com page. it shows me all info, listeners tuned in, peak listeners etc. in real time. Every Shoutcast user can use this method. But I know many listeners use your page for playing the station and as well other radio stations use the numbers in their player as a reference. If so, it would be good to know what your numbers in the official players on your start page show exactly. listeners in 1 day? 3 hours or 2? definitely not the listeners in real time tuned in at the moment and also not 24 h (then it would be more). Believe me, I am deep into radio station statistics and I know my numbers. But as many stations fake theirs and use it for their promo to get paying clients (!) , I would really like to know what you are displaying there. Thanks in advance.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
The listener numbers on our directory start pages are the exact same numbers that are found on the servers DNAS status page (tuned in right at that moment).

Here is an example:

https://www.internet-radio.com/station/dougclassicrock/
http://us1.internet-radio.com:8105/

As that station above hosts with us here this is updated in real-time on their start page, with the other stations in the directories that are hosted elsewhere these are not updated as quickly (every 3-4 minutes). So you may notice that the listener numbers are not quite as 100% accurate (but not far off) and that the song titles updates are slightly delayed as we prioritise our own clients stations first.

More Support

Level 2 Support
Staff member
Hi Luna. Thanks for pointing that out. We've identified a bug causing your station to be read twice. Your station should be reporting correctly now.

ok that is not true for my station neither for some others I know. and has nothing to do with updating. I show it to you and take my
station as an exemple

Your page:

https://www.internet-radio.com/search/?radio=ibiza+live+radio 479 listeners

DNAS status page
http://198.105.214.140:6571/Live 249 listeners

with the same stream address! And a few other stations I monitor it is the same - up to 4 times more than DNAS status.

Luna

ok....the same might apply for Ibiza Global Radio and Ibiza Sonica. Maybe you can check it. thank you

Last edited:

LionPaw

wont let me create a new thread so im forced to post here.anyone know what the empty red warning box is about on the control panel? also wont let me upload pics to show

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
wont let me create a new thread so im forced to post here.anyone know what the empty red warning box is about on the control panel? also wont let me upload pics to show

Hi LionPaw,

We have just logged into your servers control panel and we cannot see what you mean, it all seems fine to us? You should have no problem uploading images in this thread but if you could just email us with the screenshots that would be helpful, thank you.

https://www.internet-radio.com/contact/

Luna

The issue with the wrong listener numbers still exist. No reply to my email though, where I gave all the links to check it out. Some stations are counted twice, and some are 3 or 4-fold. Please don´t check only my station so that I have real numbers and the competitors still have high fake ones. I hope there is not any kind of hacking involved?
As you said above, your technicians found a bug in my counting. This "bug" seems to be on many stations...... i am wondering what´s behind. Is there any way to move forward with this topic? and again: DON´T set back my station only real numbers. Leave it as it is until the general problem is solved. Maybe you don´t know, but the numbers here are used to sell ads etc......

More Support

Level 2 Support
Staff member
Hi Luna, Apologies we thought this issue was resolved. There's no "hacking" involved here but I'll explain a little more why you think you're seeing 3 or 4 times the listeners. Some stations load balance their listeners over several servers so we add these together to give a total rather than list 3 or 4 seperate stations which are in fact the same one. I've looked back at the examples you sent in the email and this is the case for all the stations you mention. There are in fact multiple servers for each station. We don't mention this fact in the listing so it's understandable why you came to this conclusion. In the future we may develop a way to reflect all the stations in the playlist file (and listing) rather than just one.

I'm not sure why you're using the numbers listed here to sell ads. It would make more sense to use the numbers provided by your radio servers control panel software (or simply the servers station page) as they would be far more comprehensive.

The issue with the wrong listener numbers still exist. No reply to my email though, where I gave all the links to check it out. Some stations are counted twice, and some are 3 or 4-fold. Please don´t check only my station so that I have real numbers and the competitors still have high fake ones. I hope there is not any kind of hacking involved?
As you said above, your technicians found a bug in my counting. This "bug" seems to be on many stations...... i am wondering what´s behind. Is there any way to move forward with this topic? and again: DON´T set back my station only real numbers. Leave it as it is until the general problem is solved. Maybe you don´t know, but the numbers here are used to sell ads etc......

Luna

that is not at all comprehensible. If a station address ends with let´s say port :1234, that means it should count the listeners listening through that port/adress, no matter how many servers are out there? or are there e.g. 4 servers with the same streaming address so that the numbers are added up? in my opinion each server has a different streaming address? but maybe i am wrong.
It is not us using your displayed numbers for proof of listeners, but I know that others do.... of course that looks better than their own stats :) so do mine.....
anyway, thanks for your effort.