Are we able to switch between ShoutCast and IceCast on our own? As in change as and when we want to? I am still unsure of which to use... i am currently using IceCast but would like to know how it would be like if i want to use IceCast.
Thanks in advance!
We run Icecast but want to also get the plusses from Shoutcast yet retain creating a single feed, the plan is to relay our existing Icecast server/account into a Shoutcast server/account using the relay mount point functionality thus giving us two public streams from the same feed. Is this a working option?
There are two main options for running a radio server with us and these are using an Icecast Server or a Shoutcast server. This FAQ will explain the pro's and con's of each.
Firstly its worth mentioning that both server types are very similar in what they do but there are some subtle differences you might want to be aware of when choosing your server type.
- Your station is listed on Free Internet Radio - SHOUTcast Radio - Thousands of Free Online Radio Stations and syndicated out to many other radio directories. This gives you excellent exposure and will likely lead to getting more listeners than you would do on an icecast server.
- You can ban listeners by ip or subnet.
- If you plan on running an Auto DJ on your radio server then when you want to play live you will have to turn off the Auto DJ server and then on again when you have finished.
- Icecast has mountpoints meaning and automatically transferes listeners from the Auto DJ to the Live stream and back again without needing to manually turn anything on or off. So you connect and all the listeners are transfered from the autodj to the live stream and then back again when you are finished.
Conclusion : If you plan on running an Auto DJ and doing live streams then the ability to auto-transfer listeners is very useful and worth considering an Icecast server to do. If you only plan on live streaming with no Auto DJ then the extra listeners you get from shoutcast.com it would be worth using a shoutcast server.
- You are listed on Streaming directory -- streams & radios instead of shoutcast.com which gets fewer listeners tuning in than a shoutcast server would.
We plan on updating this FAQ as we think of more pro's and con's for each server. If anyone has anything they would like to add please make a post below and we will add it above if its relevant.
If you have the money, why not broadcast on both Icecast AND Shoutcast, and NOT worry about switching between auto-DJ and live DJing?
I haven't tried it yet... but in the most recent version of Winamp (as of June 29th 2012), in the DSP settings in Winamp, there can be 5 simultaneous different outputs, I therefore suppose 5 different connections to 5 different servers. if you therefore put settings for Shoutcast in one and Icecast in the other, then all should be fine.
and if you stick to the audio source as MIC / LINE IN, and use a separate computer and / or an external mixer for playing live music and DJing, there would be NO need to worry about choosing between Shoutcast and Icecast, AND no need to worry about switching between the auto-DJ and live DJing ..
2nd hand and cheap computers are widely available online either on Gumtree for the UK and Craigslist in Canada and the US, or eBay
Please reply if there are any questions
Thank You for all the replies & information about windows Vista. I appreciate all the information & whoever said go back to windows 98, I agree with You. It's strange how MS & Windows takes the bugs out of their prgs., They just Make a new version with more & worse bugs in it. Where does it end??? As far as I'm concerned I liked windows 95 ver B BUT I needed to upgrade to a newer ver of windows cause my new devices wouldn't work with the older version. Also I think ME is better than plain Windows 98 BUT it is a hassle too. BUT also all MS & Windows Prgs. ARE memory HOGS. Cause the Programmers don't care or know how to write a good tight Program. They figure they don't need to since they have all this Gigs of memory to waste. Ok, I'll step down off the soap box now. Thank You again, TTYL.
If I plan to use AutoDJ only (no live), which would you recommend then? Thanks!
I'm just starting up new online station with auto DJ 24 7. Two questions how far ahead can I upload playlists and second are they any live triggers out there to generate a bit revenue.looking at comments shoutcast give best option to get listed for more listeners.thanks in advance.