ShoutCast or IceCast Server ?

mohamadhafiz

Are we able to switch between ShoutCast and IceCast on our own? As in change as and when we want to? I am still unsure of which to use... i am currently using IceCast but would like to know how it would be like if i want to use IceCast.

Thanks in advance!

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Are we able to switch between ShoutCast and IceCast on our own? As in change as and when we want to? I am still unsure of which to use... i am currently using IceCast but would like to know how it would be like if i want to use IceCast.

Thanks in advance!

We are afraid that you would need to register a new account for this as we cannot change server types on accounts. Apologies.

stuff_web

it SHOULD work with recent versions of Winamp...

We run Icecast but want to also get the plusses from Shoutcast yet retain creating a single feed, the plan is to relay our existing Icecast server/account into a Shoutcast server/account using the relay mount point functionality thus giving us two public streams from the same feed. Is this a working option? :)

1st .. this is my 1st time on this site, 2nd sorry for replying 3 years later .. :)

I haven't tried it yet... but in the most recent version of Winamp (as of June 29th 2012), in the DSP settings in Winamp, there can be 5 simultaneous different outputs, I therefore suppose 5 different connections to 5 different servers. if you therefore put settings for Shoutcast in one and Icecast in the other, then all should be fine.
and if you stick to the audio source as MIC / LINE IN, and use a separate computer and / or an external mixer for playing live music and DJing, there would be NO need to worry about choosing between Shoutcast and Icecast, AND no need to worry about switching between the auto-DJ and live DJing :)
Please reply if there are any questions :)

stuff_web

it SHOULD work with recent versions of Winamp

There are two main options for running a radio server with us and these are using an Icecast Server or a Shoutcast server. This FAQ will explain the pro's and con's of each.

Firstly its worth mentioning that both server types are very similar in what they do but there are some subtle differences you might want to be aware of when choosing your server type.

Shoutcast Servers

Pro's :

• You can ban listeners by ip or subnet.
Con's :
  • If you plan on running an Auto DJ on your radio server then when you want to play live you will have to turn off the Auto DJ server and then on again when you have finished.
Icecast Servers

Pro's :
  • Icecast has mountpoints meaning and automatically transferes listeners from the Auto DJ to the Live stream and back again without needing to manually turn anything on or off. So you connect and all the listeners are transfered from the autodj to the live stream and then back again when you are finished.
Con's :
Conclusion : If you plan on running an Auto DJ and doing live streams then the ability to auto-transfer listeners is very useful and worth considering an Icecast server to do. If you only plan on live streaming with no Auto DJ then the extra listeners you get from shoutcast.com it would be worth using a shoutcast server.

We plan on updating this FAQ as we think of more pro's and con's for each server. If anyone has anything they would like to add please make a post below and we will add it above if its relevant.

If you have the money, why not broadcast on both Icecast AND Shoutcast, and NOT worry about switching between auto-DJ and live DJing?

I haven't tried it yet... but in the most recent version of Winamp (as of June 29th 2012), in the DSP settings in Winamp, there can be 5 simultaneous different outputs, I therefore suppose 5 different connections to 5 different servers. if you therefore put settings for Shoutcast in one and Icecast in the other, then all should be fine.
and if you stick to the audio source as MIC / LINE IN, and use a separate computer and / or an external mixer for playing live music and DJing, there would be NO need to worry about choosing between Shoutcast and Icecast, AND no need to worry about switching between the auto-DJ and live DJing ..
2nd hand and cheap computers are widely available online either on Gumtree for the UK and Craigslist in Canada and the US, or eBay

If you have the money, why not broadcast on both Icecast AND Shoutcast, and NOT worry about switching between auto-DJ and live DJing?

and if you stick to the audio source as MIC / LINE IN, and use a separate computer and / or an external mixer for playing live music and DJing, there would be NO need to worry about choosing between Shoutcast and Icecast, AND no need to worry about switching between the auto-DJ and live DJing ..
2nd hand and cheap computers are widely available online either on Gumtree for the UK and Craigslist in Canada and the US, or eBay

I have output to 2 shoutcast servers before and all went well ! bear in mind when using icecast you have moint points so the setup wont be as easy as it looks.

also you need a constant fast broadband connection to keeps both servers going with no problems , the more bandwith used the faster the connection needs to be.

It would be easier to use two pc's - 1 running the shoutcast server and 1 running the icecast server at least if there was problems on one connection you still have the other

external mixer with 2 outputs - 1 to each pc

You can do that. You want to set up the shoutcast server to be the one you stream to, and the Icecast to be the relay if your considering going this option.

The nice thing about SC2 is it will handle multiple streams, so you can actually stream to that, get the benifits Album art and SC YP, and then relay off of IC2 for AAC+ flash output. You can also set up the IC2 server to be dedi on that box, which will give you the option of port 80 streaming without the work around of Creating a seperate instance of Appache every time you want to stream port 80, killing its RAM. But it still maintains security.

It just has to be installed manually, because WHM wont play with a SC/IC server set up on port 80, and treats it as an attack every time its set up.

Also another viable option is setting up a transcoder, like Oddsock's old transcoder or SC_trans v2, then you stream in MP3, and everything gets transcoded down on the server. one stream up, multiple streams in different codecs out.

Just a thought.

Wayne Richards

try 7

have you tried windows 7 it runs all of my programmes inc sam 4 virtual dj all fine

Hi
Thank You for all the replies & information about windows Vista. I appreciate all the information & whoever said go back to windows 98, I agree with You. It's strange how MS & Windows takes the bugs out of their prgs., They just Make a new version with more & worse bugs in it. Where does it end??? As far as I'm concerned I liked windows 95 ver B BUT I needed to upgrade to a newer ver of windows cause my new devices wouldn't work with the older version. Also I think ME is better than plain Windows 98 BUT it is a hassle too. BUT also all MS & Windows Prgs. ARE memory HOGS. Cause the Programmers don't care or know how to write a good tight Program. They figure they don't need to since they have all this Gigs of memory to waste. Ok, I'll step down off the soap box now. Thank You again, TTYL.
DJ-SirDuke

AaronG97

I use Icecast, it makes it a lot easier because you don't have to turn the Auto DJ off and try and time it correctly. But yeah, as someone said previously, you don't get the added bonus of being listed on Shoutcast.com

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
If I plan to use AutoDJ only (no live), which would you recommend then? Thanks!

Hi Yimago,

Thanks for your interest in our services.

Well you could use either really just for the AutoDJ. But perhaps a Shoutcast server would be better as you will also get listed on the www.shoutcast.com directories as well as our own.

I'm just starting up new online station with auto DJ 24 7. Two questions how far ahead can I upload playlists and second are they any live triggers out there to generate a bit revenue.looking at comments shoutcast give best option to get listed for more listeners.thanks in advance.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
I'm just starting up new online station with auto DJ 24 7. Two questions how far ahead can I upload playlists and second are they any live triggers out there to generate a bit revenue.looking at comments shoutcast give best option to get listed for more listeners.thanks in advance.

Hi Tom,

You can upload and schedule playlists in advance as and whenever you want to.

Shoutcast's target spot is probably your best option to monetize your radio: https://www.shoutcast.com/Monetize

Thanks for the information. Am I right in thinking that shoutcast is the best platform to get on as many radio stations lists as possible?

Thanks

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
No problem Tom. Generally yes. But you will still have to manually submit your station details to the various online directories.

Perfect that sounds good to me.im nearly ready to start broadcast a week or two max.would shoutcast server be better for me in france as I'm based in ireland do you think ? And as I plan to start with 100 listeners grow from there which package is best for me ?thanks a million.