Latest Chrome browser update (v55) breaks Shoutcast v1.x HTML5 players

More Support

Level 2 Support
Staff member
We've started showing a "No Web Player" message (Shoutcast v1) for radio stations which won't play in the browser. These stations can still be played but only via the ".pls" and .m3u" links we display above the message.

The latest update (v55) being rolled out for Google Chrome unfortunately breaks the ability for Shoutcast v1.x servers to be played with HTML5. More specifically support for HTTP/0.9 over non-standard ports has been dropped. Since Shoutcast v1.x uses HTTP/0.9 and runs on a non-standard port (i.e. not 80 or 443) it gives the error "net::ERR_INVALID_HTTP_RESPONSE" when you attempt to play a stream.

The bug report can be found here:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=669800
We encourage you to star / vote on / comment on the issue if you are affected.

There has been talk of a temporary roll back but it seems that playing Shoutcast 1 stations with an HTML5 player will not be possible from now on. We'll keep you posted in this thread. In the meantime if you would like to be upgraded from Shoutcast 1 to Shoutcast 2 or Icecast 2 (both of which don't suffer from this problem) then please contact us.

More reading:
Shoutcast.com forum thread: http://forums.shoutcast.com/showthread.php?t=398988
Webkit bug report: https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=164530

Last edited:

More Support

Level 2 Support
Staff member
We've managed to get around this issue for clients hosted with us by using port 80 (web proxy) instead of the normal port. All shoutcast v1 stations start pages hosted with us should work now.

Centovacast are testing an update to fix this for embedded widgets which should be available shortly. We will apply the update as soon as its available and let you know in this thread when it's complete.

In order to fix any issues with external HTML5 web players (jPlayer etc...) you may have used on your own websites you need to use the web proxy url which can be found in the menu of your control panel:

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 19.07.54.png

BroBill

Is it appropriate to ask a question here about a self-hosted server, rather than a server with your company?

BroBill

Thanks! I may have already discovered the issue ... Looks like a Chrome browser upgrade has broken HTML5 player functionality, rendering my Shoutcast clients without a web player that works on Chrome. The HTML5 player through IE and Firefox appears to be functioning as normal. I'm running Shoutcast DNAS 2.0.0.9, but it appears an update to the latest software is required. So there's where I am at the moment ... do you think I'm on the right path for a resolution to my issue?

http://198.199.71.224:5500

~ Bill

More Support

Level 2 Support
Staff member
Thanks! I may have already discovered the issue ... Looks like a Chrome browser upgrade has broken HTML5 player functionality, rendering my Shoutcast clients without a web player that works on Chrome. The HTML5 player through IE and Firefox appears to be functioning as normal. I'm running Shoutcast DNAS 2.0.0.9, but it appears an update to the latest software is required. So there's where I am at the moment ... do you think I'm on the right path for a resolution to my issue?

http://198.199.71.224:5500

~ Bill

Yeah it would appear you are affected by this as you are running v2.0.0.9. Upgrading to the latest Shoutcast 2 should solve your problem as anything before v2.4 won't play in Chrome and Safari (and probably soon to be Firefox).

More Support

Level 2 Support
Staff member
Shoutcast v1 Centovacast Update Method and Considerations:

As Shoutcast v1 is over 10 years old and this HTML5 player issue looks like it's here to stay it's probably a good time to upgrade to a more modern streaming server like either Icecast v2 or Shoutcast v2. We have a forum post about the Pro's and Con's of each server type. We would recommend Icecast v2.

Unfortunately there is no way in Centovacast to upgrade an account from Shoutcast v1 to Icecast v2 or Shoutcast v2. We've asked Centova a few times about this but they say it isn't possible because the amount of port's required varies between each server and encoder type. In addition there's issues with the settings not mapping over either as they differ so greatly.

In order to upgrade your account we will need to delete your account and recreate it. Your username and hostname will remain the same and we will keep your Auto DJ files but your settings, playlists, history/reports will unfortunately be reset and require reconfiguring. As your port and mount point will change we're pretty sure any directory listings you have around the web would also need updating.

Contact us if you would like us to arrange this.

BroBill

Yeah it would appear you are affected by this as you are running v2.0.0.9. Upgrading to the latest Shoutcast 2 should solve your problem as anything before v2.4 won't play in Chrome and Safari (and probably soon to be Firefox).

Just a quick followup to confirm that an upgrade to the latest version of the Shoutcast DNAS cleared up all my issues. And as an aside, installing the new DNAS keeps the old config files intact, so it's easy as pie. Download the appropriate newest version of the DNAS, unpack, stop the PID, restart the Shoutcast server and voila!

More Support

Level 2 Support
Staff member
Just a quick followup to confirm that an upgrade to the latest version of the Shoutcast DNAS cleared up all my issues. And as an aside, installing the new DNAS keeps the old config files intact, so it's easy as pie. Download the appropriate newest version of the DNAS, unpack, stop the PID, restart the Shoutcast server and voila!

Good to hear! Unfortunately as we manage our radio servers through Centovacast the upgrade process isn't as straight forward.

carnavaleando

Gel

(Smooth Jazz Florida) ALSO suffering on Win10 laptop running latest version of IE11 browser :(
Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• No player.PNG
    No player.PNG
    138.3 KB · Views: 3,321

More Support

Level 2 Support
Staff member
We're sending the following email out to our remaining customers who are still running Shoutcast version 1:

Shoutcast version 1 to Shoutcast version 2 upgrade available.
Recently the popular Chrome web browser released an update which disables the ability for Shoutcast version 1 stations to be played in Chrome (https://www.internet-radio.com/comm...55-breaks-shoutcast-v1-x-html5-players.27560/). In addition Shoutcast.com has also said that they plan to no longer list version 1 servers in their directory at some point in the future. Both these issues could potentially impact your listeners ability to find and tune in to you station.

Shoutcast version 2 doesn't suffer from these problems and as such we are recommending you take this opportunity to have us upgrade your server to something more modern and in active development (Shoutcast version 1 hasn't been updated in over 10 years).

To "upgrade" your account we will need to delete it and create a new one. This is necessary because the Centova Cast control panel software doesn't have any internal upgrade method. This will have the following effects that you need to be aware of:

• Your username and start page url will remain the same. (i.e. https://www.internet-radio.com/station/*yourusername*/).
  • Your Auto DJ files will be backed up and restored so no need to re-upload anything.
  • Your settings, playlists and reports will be reset. Settings and playlists will need restoring.
  • Your port (and possibly hostname) will change meaning you will need to update any links on your website and any listings in any other directories (like tunein.com, iTunes etc...).
You don't have to have us upgrade your account but we highly recommend you do so. Please reply to this email if you have any questions.

In addition we are enabling a button in the control panels to request the upgrade.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
So stations on SHOUTcast that haven't upgraded to the new server yet will be removed from the site?

Yes shoutcast.com themselves will soon be removing any old v1 servers from their own directories. This is stated on their website here at the bottom of the page: https://www.shoutcast.com/BroadcastNow
SHOUTcast versions prior to 2.0 are over 10 years old and will not be supported and will be delisted from the Website, YellowPages and API soon. Version 2.0 or better is required to retain your SHOUTcast listing. Make sure you’re on a SHOUTcast 2.0 (or newer) server to take advantage of the latest in streaming technology.

Gel

Got the dreaded No Web Player on my IE11 & Avant Browsers this morning. Refreshing page on IE11 about 6 times
it eventually resolved.
I'm sure The Donald has on his action list to sort asap!
No player Avant.PNG IE11 no player.PNG