Using Streamed Music on Internet Radio

Andy Brooks

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible and legal to use music downloaded from a streaming service to broadcast on an internet radio station?

i.e.
- I download the track from iTunes as an mp3 (for offline listening).
- Upload the mp3 track to the online radio library.
- Play the track as part of an Internet broadcast show.

MedwayRadio

Possible, but legal?

Firstly, it would be against the streaming service terms of service, for example from Spotify:

"The Spotify Service and the Content are the property of Spotify or Spotify's licensors. We grant you limited, non-exclusive, revocable permission to make use of the Spotify Service, and limited, non-exclusive, revocable permission to make personal, non-commercial use of the Content (collectively, "Access"). This Access shall remain in effect until and unless terminated by you or Spotify. You promise and agree that you are using the Spotify Service and Content for your own personal, non-commercial use and that you will not redistribute or transfer the Spotify Service or the Content."

Secondly, if I remember correctly, from a PPL/PRS (UK) T&Cs viewpoint, you need to be in possession of a legal copy of the work being broadcast, eg you have purchased the vinyl, CD, MP3 etc

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi Andy,

Regardless of whether you have purchased tracks in either physical or digital formats, if you do not own the copyright for the music then you would still require a license to broadcast it.